Raspberry Pi 4 + RuneAudio = ?

Raspberry Pi related support

Raspberry Pi 4 + RuneAudio = ?

Postby rastus » 18 Oct 2020, 05:56

I have a Raspberry Pi 4, and am trying to get RuneAudio up and running on it. Been using janui's RuneAudio 0.5-beta on a Raspberry Pi 2 for yonks (long time, since 2016), and working just fine, but I now have a Raspberry Pi 4.

So, is it only rern's RuneAudio+R e5 that is compatible the Raspberry Pi 4?

Has anyone got RuneAudio 0.5-beta working on the Raspberry Pi 4?

PS: It would be 'nice' if the Dev's got involved with their creation (RuneAudio) once again, as there has been NO update for (four?) years now.

Edit: From the RuneAudio download page: Raspberry Pi 3(model B) Latest release: v0.3-beta (23/03/2016).

Seems every version of RuneAudio is in "beta" release only (except rern's version).

I'd say four (4) years waiting for an official release (or at least another 'beta') is long enough time to say, "It's dead Jim!"

I've tried the rest, and RuneAudio is the best... but, it's lagging behind. I don't know why RuneAudio has landed in no man's land (stagnate).

I use RuneAudio for it's ease of use (it's not complex to setup or use).
rastus

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 + RuneAudio = ?

Postby Ears of Tin » 18 Oct 2020, 21:54

Rune is not just easier to use, it has more features. Try finding track times in Volumio. Try deleting tracks from a playlist with Moode.

I think RuneAudio+Re5 is the only version that runs on Pi4. And it runs well. Since new builders are buying the newest Pi it would be advantageous to feature +Re5 on the download page. Either that or update Rune 0.5beta for Pi4s. Perhaps easier said than done but I feel a great product is being overlooked.
Ears of Tin

Postby rastus » 19 Oct 2020, 04:49

Ears of Tin wrote:Rune is not just easier to use, it has more features. Try finding track times in Volumio. Try deleting tracks from a playlist with Moode.

I think RuneAudio+Re5 is the only version that runs on Pi4. And it runs well. Since new builders are buying the newest Pi it would be advantageous to feature +Re5 on the download page. Either that or update Rune 0.5beta for Pi4s. Perhaps easier said than done but I feel a great product is being overlooked.

Well Volumio has changed a lot, since I tried it three years ago, with email sign in to Volumio itself. And, both free and paid versions (they are offering lifetime support for a fee right now). So, I'm not sure that RunAudio has "more features" in comparison. As for Moode, I gave up three years ago, and I gave up recently trying to figure that one out.

You are right about RuneAudio+Re5 supporting the Raspberry Pi 4, the only version to do so too. I tried them all, no go. At first, honestly, I thought my Raspberry Pi 4 was broken. Was so close to sending it back (to France, I'm in Australia). Then I realised.... tried DiePi, OpenELEC, OSMX (whatever it is), and so on.

As for RuneAudio+Re5, it's sure been designed well by rern (kudo's to him!), with only a slight learning curve. But, it is my understanding that RuneAudio+Re5 is a 'fork' off RuneAudio, and not a release by the original Devs. Not putting it down, rern's done some good stuff with it.

But, in looking at the download page... I see ONLY beta versions of RuneAudio. And, looking at this forum is see very little admin/dev involvement. It seems they don't even want to respond to the various requests for information about the 'upcoming' release of a newer version. It almost looks like, from the responses I've read here, that they don't like being asked about what's to come, saying only they are all busy now and it takes time. I think four years is enough time, for at least one release.

Now shooting me down for saying this is not going to help with the development of RunaAudio; it has stopped. That is a fact we see here on this forum and on the main download page. In fact, there isn't even a pointer on the main download page pointing to the two beta versions that have been released. What's a newbie to do? I'm not a newbie, been following this forum, and RuneAudio since 2016.

I personally want to see where RuneAudio goes now and in the future; I prefer it to the others, that's why I'm here, now. On a last note: if the devs need help then rern sure is the guy to go to for that help. Maybe an assimilation of +Re5 and whatever (if any) the devs have to work with. It would be better to release something, anything, rather than to release nothing. Nothing, in the world of software development means... exactly that, nothing/dead.

Thanks Ears of Tin for responding.

PS: PeteB, I miss you old friend.
rastus

Postby kolmberger » 03 Dec 2020, 09:36

Hey there,

I am completely new to Rune and have now little experience with raspberry in general. After finishing a Phoniebox for my daughter, I am striving for a grown-up version of an audio player. I really really like how Rune looks like an would like to test it out.

As I strictly stick to the installation manual, downloading the sources for Rpi 3b (I have a 3b+ though), I was frustrated a few days ago, because the boot hangs directly in the rainbow screen, checked EVERYTHING, but no success. I wanted to post that issue to the forum and ask for help, I get the impression, that indeed the development is not up-to-date. As a newbie, I get a bit lost, what to download the versioning is confusing and in the end, there is a different Rune GUI available (??), which has these +R ex characters.

It's really really bad, because I think the application is still wonderful!

How does the roadmap of Rune look like?

I am very appreciating any feedback on this.
Cheers!
kolmberger

Postby rastus » 04 Dec 2020, 03:35

kolmberger wrote:How does the roadmap of Rune look like?

Hi,

wow, the Phoniebox, brilliant! I just familiarized myself with it's workings. What a great idea. Your daughter must love it!

This copy of RuneAudio is the 'latest' (last) official release from the original development team:
RuneAudio 0.5-beta for most Raspberry Pi models
runeaudio-0-5-beta-for-all-raspberry-pi-models-t6532.html

This copy of RuneAudio is a fork release from a member (rern) of this forum:
RuneAudio+R e6
runeaudio-r-e6-t7141.html

There are many reasons to choose the fork release, the most important being it has the latest software integrated.

But, as the fork release is in a state of flux (being updated and changed), I suggest you install the official release, hopefully it will be easier.

And if your able to get the official release copy working, come back to the fork release afterwards. But this is up to you.

Hope this helps, and any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Rastus.
rastus

Postby kolmberger » 04 Dec 2020, 11:20

rastus wrote:Hope this helps, and any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Hey Rastus,

yes - that helps a lot for my better understanding. As I wrote in the RuneAudio+R e6 thread, I got that version working. It's just my impression - in my environment, this version is kind of unstable and not totally reliable to hand out to a 10 year old.
E.g. the bluetooth connection is not established after a new switch-on, when trying to pair the already known speaker it doesn't do anything. As you said, this version is in a dynamic state, I might try and go with the 0.5 version first and see how far I can get with that and then try again the rern version.

Cheers.

Edit:
rastus wrote:Your daughter must love it!

Oh yes! She really did, it is amazing to watch how well she responses on that thing instead of using a crappy cd-player with after-a-while-scratched cd's. I am still wondering, why the market did not yet has an usable commercial (and system-independent !) players similar to phoniebox to offer. Because that is something every parent must be already bored off. Well, nevermind ;-)
kolmberger

Postby Ears of Tin » 04 Dec 2020, 15:52

Just my opinion, if you have Re+6 up and running I would stick with it. Rune 0.5 doesn't have anything Re+6 doesn't have including stability. Most problems stem from the new features that legacy versions don't offer and there's a bit of a beta testing process happening. Bluetooth on these players is somewhat cutting edge. Moode bluetooth instructions were too daunting for me to even attempt and Volumio bluetooth requires a paid subscription.

I regularly use Bluetooth in the opposite direction to play podcasts from my phone. When warm weather returns I would like to use Rune as a sender to an outdoor speaker so thanks for your question which I share. I can connect to a speaker but no sound. Probably some mixer/DAC settings need to be changed. Anyone?
Ears of Tin

Postby ceejayemm » 04 Dec 2020, 19:12

Klomberger

If you have RA+Re6 working stay with it as there is much more chance of you getting the things you need working with this version than any other. Just make sure you note the things you find issue with via the main Re6 thread at:

runeaudio-r-e6-t7141.html

Chris
ceejayemm

Postby FittEyes » 20 Oct 2021, 11:31

Ears of Tin wrote:Just my opinion, if you have Re+6 up and running I would stick with it. Rune 0.5 doesn't have anything Re+6 doesn't have including stability. Most problems stem from the new features that legacy versions don't offer and there's a bit of a beta testing process happening. Bluetooth on these players is somewhat cutting edge. Moode bluetooth instructions were too daunting for me to even attempt and Volumio bluetooth requires a paid subscription.

I regularly use Bluetooth in the opposite direction to play podcasts from my phone. When warm weather returns I would like to use Rune as a sender to an outdoor speaker so thanks for your question which I share. I can connect to a speaker but no sound. Probably some mixer/DAC settings need to be changed. Anyone?

I've just been using Volumio for a few weeks. It's powered by an Allo USBridge Sig and gets its data from a small smb server, which is also powered by a RaspPi 3b+. A Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ is used for digital conversion.
It's been working great so far, and I've had a handful of DSD files that play flawlessly.
I'm not sure how to utilize the touchscreen, but I'm considering acquiring another Pi and using it with a touchscreen and Volumio. As a result, I'd appreciate some information on the subject as well.
FittEyes

Postby Ears of Tin » 21 Oct 2021, 11:12

Just chiming in because some of my quoted text is a bit old. I currently use rAudio which has taken the fine work of the Rune team and greatly improved it. Download available here:
https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1

IMO it's the best system out there in terms of features and ease of use. I also use Volumio but prefer rAudio. When Moode releases something new I give it a try but always return to rAudio.

Regarding touchscreens rAudio supports them but I don't use. I prefer a small footprint system and my tablet or phone (or laptop) is my touchscreen.
Ears of Tin

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi