Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway

Build/modify/repair equipment and improve systems performance by yourself

Re: Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway

Postby matt » 16 Oct 2014, 19:37

So the case arrived yesterday, and I am feeling a little silly. Even though its still pretty compact it just seems way too empty with the pi and my pretend power supply (still waiting for the real one) in it.
I think I"ll go with the 0905 case skrodahl has used but I really want a power switch on it somehwere.
skrodahl - do you think I could squeeze on of these in on the front panel? http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Blue-LED-Power-Symbol-Tact-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Cap-Momentary-Dia-10mm-/371083943698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5666539f12
matt

Postby skrodahl » 16 Oct 2014, 22:57

matt wrote:So the case arrived yesterday, and I am feeling a little silly. Even though its still pretty compact it just seems way too empty with the pi and my pretend power supply (still waiting for the real one) in it.
I think I"ll go with the 0905 case skrodahl has used but I really want a power switch on it somehwere.
skrodahl - do you think I could squeeze on of these in on the front panel? http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Blue-LED-Power-Symbol-Tact-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Cap-Momentary-Dia-10mm-/371083943698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5666539f12

I'd love to see a picture of the case.

The button you are referring to is a momentary button. It will be on as long as you hold it in, then, as soon as you release it, it will be off. You will need a latching button, one that stays on until you push it again to turn it off.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby matt » 17 Oct 2014, 02:18

skrodahl wrote:The button you are referring to is a momentary button. It will be on as long as you hold it in, then, as soon as you release it, it will be off. You will need a latching button, one that stays on until you push it again to turn it off.

I thought I had found one of these buttons and the descrition said push once - on, push again - off, but can't seem to find it now and obviously linked to a different one. I'd had a long day so I'm probably mistaken.
Anyway i really need a power switch that is accessible from the front. It's just not going to be practical to have a button on the back or to disconnect the power cord with my rack and the way everything is set up. I calculate that I can get an approx 27mm space at the front of the case if the pi is hard up against the rear and the power supply is hard up against the pi. So Im looking fo a "short" switch. It doesn't need to be a fancy led one.

I'll put a pic up of the " big" case with pi and power in it tonight or tomorrow. I'm now thinking of using this case for a TPA3116 + pi but would have to use an external power supply for the amp.
Last edited by matt on 17 Oct 2014, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
matt

Postby matt » 17 Oct 2014, 02:44

I picked up a couple of panel mount RCA sockets and asked for some shielded wire with which to hook them up. I was given some that has 7x0.12 printed on it.
I believe the 7 refers to the number of strands of wire and the 0.12 is the diameter. It seems very thin. Will it be ok?, it will be going between hifiberry dac+ and the RCA sockets.
matt

Postby skrodahl » 17 Oct 2014, 05:53

My shielded signal cable is so thin that my wire stripper can't remove its insulation. It works great though. You'll run a signal of 2-3 volts at a few milliamperes through them. No problem at all.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to DIY and tweaks