Power Supply – Power Bank

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Power Supply – Power Bank

Postby rastus » 22 May 2016, 15:37

LC1 wrote:I have been reading this thread with interest.

LC1 > High and greetings brother....

Hans Beekhuyzen (links below) has said he may (will?) be doing a comparison between a few different power supplies for the Raspberry Pi, soon. I do believe the iPower will be one of those compared. I could be wrong, but I am waiting (and holding off on buying a LPSU because of this reason). He has just two days ago completed a review of the Mamboberry HiFi DAC+ (http://www.collybia.com/mamboberry-hifi-dac) that has a LPSU built in...

Mamboberry HiFi DAC+
"Review: a HAT board for Raspberry Pi containing not only a DAC but also a linear power supply."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SHYoXKzKEI

The Hans Beekhuyzen Project
http://thehbproject.com/en/

The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4tuh ... PD0q17sPEA

Some light reading while you (we) wait... this will also give me time to re-read your post, and assess your questions (I'm very tired right now)...

Tracking down noise sources on a Raspberry Pi
"You want to improve the sound quality on your Raspberry? Go Wireless!"
http://www.crazy-audio.com/2013/10/trac ... pberry-pi/

Ifi iPower for the Raspberry streamer
"By generating a signal identical to the noise signal but in the exact opposite phase, it actively cancels all the incoming noise."
"I kept the iPower in my system for three months and went back and forth several times between the iFi and my home-brewed 5A/50W linear power supply without noticing any major differences. Actually without noticing any minor differences either. To be honest I cannot be even sure if there are audible differences between the two and this is probably the biggest compliment one can do to a switching mode power supply. Back when I first tested the linear power supply against the run of the mill SMPS I was using in the first days the difference in sound was noticeable so iFi has obviously performed some magic with the iPower. Highly recommended!"
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/04/ ... -streamer/

Post from two years ago...

I2S via Raspberry Pi - HF/VHF noise
"Now I can confirm that Ethernet adds noise and it could be better to use Wifi dongle. After this tuning I've compared again the effect of linear power supply. It is better than switched PSU. Although this helped a lot, the Toslink is still better."
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/forum/p ... #post20596

"Please can you elaborate? Are you saying that for best sound quality you should use a wireless usb connection rather than the Ethernet port on the Raspberry Pi?"
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ost3750875

NOTE: But, and I DO mean this... if PeteB says grass is pink I do believe him. I re-read his posts more than I re-read my own, and that's saying something (because of my OCD). It's because he knows more than me, I am only good at bringing data together into one place, nothing more.
rastus

Postby dunghnguyen » 23 May 2016, 14:19

@PeteB, @rastus: I just received delivery of the linear power supply as the photo on post #37 above (previous page) that it made me very surprised, the sound background now is really quite, sound stage is really thick, sound image is full, more detailed, solo sound by guitar, flutes,... I was very crazy when making decision due to its price but I am really happy.

Its output is 9VDC-3A feeding for my USB DAC SMSL M8.

ImageImageImageImage
dunghnguyen

Postby rastus » 23 May 2016, 15:03

dunghnguyen wrote:I just received delivery of the linear power supply... that it made me very surprised, the sound background now is really quite, sound stage is really thick, sound image is full, more detailed, solo sound by guitar, flutes,... I was very crazy when making decision due to its price but I am really happy.

Its output is 9VDC-3A feeding for my USB DAC SMSL M8.

dunghnguyen > Now you have my attention... nice, nice, nice...
So this linear power supply powers your USB DAC SMSL M8?
Not powering your Raspberry Pi?
And what was the price please?
And this is El transformer?
rastus

Postby dunghnguyen » 23 May 2016, 15:20

@rastus: Temporary I used power bank baterry 5V, 10000mAh to feed my Pi 2 ...nearly purity ;) ...82 bugs bro ...dont tell my wife ...u n me knew only ...ah with @PeteB :D
dunghnguyen

Postby rastus » 23 May 2016, 15:59

dunghnguyen wrote:@rastus: Temporary I used power bank baterry 5V, 10000mAh to feed my Pi 2 ...nearly purity ;) ...82 bugs bro ...dont tell my wife ...u n me knew only ...ah with @PeteB :D

dunghnguyen > Thank you for your response brother. I use a Power Pack battery (5,200 mAh), it works fine feeding my Pi 2B, with DAC+... real nice sound (better than the wall-wart). Don't worry, I won't tell your wife.... it's between you and I (and PeteB, if we must 'share'). But I must say, you've been a berry nawty boy! Enjoy your reward.
rastus

Postby dunghnguyen » 23 May 2016, 16:51

=))
dunghnguyen

Postby LC1 » 25 May 2016, 06:59

Hi Pete, thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I trust everything you say, but it does leave me a little confused (no more than usual!).

PeteB wrote:Something like the ipower will not help if you have noisy mains and/or bad grounds (earth connection).

I thought that this was the whole point of the ipower? Are you saying that it does not work as advertised, or that I have misunderstood what its benefits supposedly are? I don't actually know that the electrics here are particularly bad, but it is quite an old house.

For me personally, "might be" is not a reason to spend several hudred dollars on power supplies. Especially since a WiFi dongle can fix that for $10.

This is my kind of thinking too. I may just have to switch over to wireless and see whether there is a noticeable improvement.
When I start adding other things, and other connections, the noise goes up, and eventually becomes audible. No power supply can prevent that.

Sure, but can a better power supply improve things, even if marginally? I'm interested that you say you can get almost studio quality with a stock smps. Does that mean that you consider it to be much lower down the list in terms of potential noise sources? Are there other benefits to things like linear/battery/ipower power supplies that are not related to noise? ie improved dynamics etc?

I could go on and on about the benefits of good power supplies in audio, but the fact is that you get most of the same benefits from simple and cheap solutions.

This is what I'm after! What are you referring to here exactly?

Cheers!
LC1

Postby LC1 » 25 May 2016, 07:03

LC1 > High and greetings brother....

Thank you Rastus!

Hans Beekhuyzen (links below) has said he may (will?) be doing a comparison between a few different power supplies for the Raspberry Pi, soon.

Very interesting, I will look out for that...

Some light reading while you (we) wait...

Great links, thanks ever so much. I haven't had time to read them yet, but I certainly will :)
LC1

Postby Brain007 » 18 Nov 2016, 11:53

you point is also good on this note... regarding custom branded power banks.
have a look the pic below ... whats your thought on it?
have a blessed day!
Cheers!
#Brain
Brain007

Postby rezaayoubi » 26 Aug 2019, 08:03

i think xiaomi power banks is very amazing..
I recommend the 2c model... xiaomi products are high quality...
energizer power bank is too very good.. if you buy energizer power bank i recommend the UE20022 model
rezaayoubi

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi