Weird wireless network behaviour - V0.3 Beta

Raspberry Pi related support

Weird wireless network behaviour - V0.3 Beta

Postby The_Spirit » 02 Nov 2014, 23:41

Hi

I've been trying out the RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi and had difficulty getting wireless networking working (cabled Ethernet ran fine out of the box). In the hope it might give some clues of what is going on here is a description of what I encountered.

My hardware is as follows:
Raspberry Pi Model B (Jan 2014)
Edimax EW7811Un Wireless USB Adapter

I downloaded RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi, flashed a SD Card, assembled the system (cabled ethernet) and powered on. The system acquired an address via DHCP and I was able to connect to it and the RuneAudio UI appeared.

I updated as described at the bottom of page 5 of the thread "RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi" and received a confirmation that the update had been sucessful.

I powered off, inserted the Edimax Adapter and powered up.

The RuneAudio UI indicated that there was a Wireless Interface, the UI showed
A red Cross WLAN0 [no IP assigned]

I used Menu > Network to bring up the Network Configuration page, selected WLAN0 and the UI showed it was scanning for networks. It eventually showed a number of WiFi networks that were within range including mine.

The Interface properties at this point were
Name: wlan0
Type: wireless
Assigned SSID: null
Assigned IP: none
Speed: unknown

I selected my network and a page opened showing the correct security WPA/WPA2 PSK and providing a field for the Password to be entered. I entered the password and clicked "Connect".

Eventually, after another scan for networks the UI changed and the Interface properties were
Name: wlan0
Type: wireless
Assigned SSID: null
Assigned IP: none
Speed: unknown

After numerous attempts over about 10 hours suddenly, for no reason I could see, it got a good wireless connection and obtained an IP address. This has survived several shutdown and restart so it looks like it is fixed.

Spooky. Any thoughts on what is going on?

I'm impressed with my short tryout of RuneAudio (I previously used Volumio), the UI is fast and the Library makes management of sources easy. Sound quality (using the Pi audio) is excellent.
The_Spirit

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi