Network name resolution

Raspberry Pi related support

Network name resolution

Postby ceejayemm » 15 Aug 2020, 16:25

@rern

I originally posted this as part of the RA+re4 thread (runeaudio-r-e4-t7084.html#p29842)

but now I think it is a separate issue so I am starting a new post so as not to confuse things. My original post was:

I have also resolved the issue with my 'faulty' web radios. In Re3 I was able to use the url http://minimserver:9790/minimstreamer/*/D_R2 however in Re4 I need to use http://minimserver.lan:9790/minimstreamer/*/D_R2 or the IP number (http://192.168.86.70:9790/minimstreamer/*/D_R2) as for some reason Re4 no longer resolves just the server name ('minimserver') in a web radio url. This strange because in my Sources screen I CAN set up my NFS Device server name to be 'CMHomeNAS1' which does resolve to 'cmhomenas1.lan' or 192.168.86.250 correctly. As you can see both minimserver and cmhomenas1 are on the same network and domain.

Shouldn't there be consistency as to how server names are resolved ?

This problem got worse with later Re4 updates to the point where eventually I could only use IP numbers to access this, and other, servers.

In reply you sent me a link to the Arch Linux networking documentation on their wiki. I have spent the time since investigating this issue by reading the docs on the Arch-Linux wiki, using Mr Google and other sources to try and resolve this issue, thoroughly confusing myself in the process to the point where I have given up on it several times. I have struggled with the vagaries of netctl, systemd.resolvd, dnssec etc etc. Not one to really give up on a problem, this morning I ended up on a web page that seemed to suggest that having a look at the 'hosts' setting in /etc/nsswitch.conf might be useful.

In the existing /etc/nsswitch.conf file, as delivered with RA+re4, there is a line:

hosts: files mymachines myhostname resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns

which the article I was reading said could probably be changed but didn't suggest how to change it (typical of many Linux forum posts, where helping beginners is not always forthcoming - not the RA forum BTW). I then looked at one of my other RPIs, which runs Rasbian but which also has a nsswitch.conf file and DOESN'T exhibit the problems of my RPI running RA. In this file the 'hosts' line is as follows:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

Taking a chance, I commented out the original 'hosts' setting and copied the 'hosts' line above to /etc/nsswitch.conf on the RA RPI. Once nsswitch.conf was saved with the change, and without needing a reboot, lo and behold the RA RPI resolved all the originally 'faulty' domain names correctly.

Do you, or anybody else,have any knowledge as to whether the new 'hosts' line is ok for general use or is there a better way to achieve the same thing?

Mnay thanks as always.

Chris
ceejayemm

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi