Playlists and things...

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Playlists and things...

Postby rst1 » 07 Apr 2014, 22:10

Hi,
since all is about playlists when you play something, I like to ask for some additional features here..

- clear playlist button (as mentioned somewhere else) would be very nice
- save and load playlists (was already mentioned somewhere else, I think) would also bei nice
- bigger playlists (I noticed that there seems to be a limit of 16384 max entries in a playlist, and as I'm looking for some substitute for my Sonos setup (mainly because of their horrific idle wattage and a ~65k songs limit) I thought rpi w/ a DAC would make a nice alternative)
- the ability to load a complete mountpoint into a playlist instead of going to each single directory and add them
- changeable behavior on double-click on a song (this adds the song now, which growd the playlist quite big after a day or so, I would like to have the option of "add and replace on doubleclick" or similar
- multiroom w/ synced play would be great
- toggle autoplay on startup ;)
- WIMP would be great, but as far as I understand it's quite impossible to add this.
- something else that just browse folders would also be nice (I have mp3 and flac in seperate folders therefore I haven't all tracks from one artist together here)

There were more things on my list, but I can't remember them now..

If there are testers needed for any new feature I'm happy to participate, lots of spare SD Cards for new versions available here ;)

-Ralf
rst1

Re: Playlists and things...

Postby ACX » 08 Apr 2014, 08:19

Hi rst1, as you may know we are close to release the next 0.3-beta version, and many of the features you mentioned have already been introduced/fixed:

• clear playlist button: DONE
  • save and load playlists: DONE
  • bigger playlists: this will kill your browser :) From my experience, loading more than 4k elements in the DOM results in a very sluggish performance and occasional browser hangs/crashes. My advice for an optimal performance is to use smaller playlists and use the load/save features
  • the ability to load a complete mountpoint: DONE
  • changeable behavior on double-click on a song: maybe in the future
  • multiroom w/ synced play: that's in our roadmap for the future
  • toggle autoplay on startup: if you shutdown your device while playing, MPD should autoplay the last track you were listening to
  • WIMP: we are going to add YouTube audio streams in the future...
  • something else that just browse folders: ? (currently the UI only browses folders...)
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby rst1 » 08 Apr 2014, 08:29

Hi ACX,

ACX wrote:
  • bigger playlists: this will kill your browser :) From my experience, loading more than 4k elements in the DOM results in a very sluggish performance and occasional browser hangs/crashes. My advice for an optimal performance is to use smaller playlists and use the load/save features

Yes, I have noticed that the playlist tab only shows 4083 or so entries. Maybe something like limit playlists to ~5k and then load multiple playlists and not show the complete songlist in the playlist tab but the playlists as some kind of tree? I'm used to have random music playing from my complete collection when I'm too lazy to think about what I like to hear (and it helps me to discoverlong not heard music again)
Or, different idea, create something like a random button, which simply goes through your complete collection and picks randomly songs to play, without that playlist overhead?

ACX wrote:
  • something else that just browse folders: ? (currently the UI only browses folders...)

so no "group or select by Artist/album/genre/Year/.." is planned then? (yes, I can use the search)

-Ralf
rst1

Postby ACX » 08 Apr 2014, 08:42

1) browse by file is now the default and the only enabled way. We are going to restore the browse by Artist/Album/Genre/Year in the 0.4 I think
2) true random play mode (without the need to load huge playlists): DONE :)
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby jotak » 20 May 2014, 17:02

Hello there,

Just a thought about big playlists "killing" the browser. I think it's worth it to implement something for this issue, because you could run in similar issues if you want to browse by artist / album etc. Maybe some "lazy loading" list through javascript would be interesting, don't you think? Hiding and showing elements as soon as you scroll next to them...
jotak

Postby ACX » 20 May 2014, 23:37

jotak wrote:Hello there,

Just a thought about big playlists "killing" the browser. I think it's worth it to implement something for this issue, because you could run in similar issues if you want to browse by artist / album etc. Maybe some "lazy loading" list through javascript would be interesting, don't you think? Hiding and showing elements as soon as you scroll next to them...

Hi jotak, I've considered many solutions and none of them were perfect. I still have to try a last one that would allow to keep all the elements in the DOM but without loading all the structure, a sort of smart virtual list. Solutions like infinite loading and lazy loading don't work well with the scroll/centering feature.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby jotak » 21 May 2014, 07:19

Nice to see such fast answers :) Thanks

I understand lazy loading can raise other issues... it's not an easy problem

By the way I wanted to share also some work I've done on browsing / playlist management ; I am not (yet?) using RuneAudio, I'm still on the older "Raspify" on top of which I've copied-pasted the Volumio Web-UI (tried the same with RuneUI, but it didn't work, I guess it's related to the changes in linux distro ; I'll upgrade my rasp.pi one day...) ; anyway feel free to checkout my work if you find it interesting, it should be quite easy to integrate in RuneUI, and it's on github (my own WebUI fork, which is itself based on your own work if I've understood everything : https://github.com/jotak/Volumio-WebUI/ ... ct_library ) Cf. screenshot attached.

The work is still under progress, not yet functional.

The idea is to show a multi-pane filtering view to allow combined filters (by genre, artist and album) and multiple-selection filters.

Here again the performance hit of displaying very large DOM may happen for large music libraries (it's ok with my thousands of files).
Attachments
Screenshot - raspify.jpg
Screenshot - raspify.jpg (158.21 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
jotak

Postby ACX » 21 May 2014, 08:23

I just took a quick look to your work and I see some interesting things that could be useful for the current RuneUI development. As you may know (I disclosed some details in this blog post some time ago), we almost completely rewrote the code base for the upcoming 0.3-beta, and I already solved most of the performance issues that affected RaspyFi's UI (and still affect Volumio's too, of course). Would you be interested in being involved in its development?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby jotak » 21 May 2014, 08:46

Just read this blog post, I didin't see it before ... it looks like a great step you completed! I'll have to install it.
And I'd be glad to contribute then ;)

I see only a few commits on github / RuneUI , does it mean it's not the latest version there?
jotak

Postby ACX » 21 May 2014, 09:30

We are currently working on a separate repo because it has been a drastic rework, but the code will be published soon together with the 0.3-beta.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Feature request