Playlists and things...

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Re: Playlists and things...

Postby brotheroak » 27 May 2014, 23:52

I've searched over forums and the wider internet for an answer to my simple playlist question, but not found it - I suspect the problem lies with me and that the answer is obvious, but I'll ask anyway...

Is there any way I can import playlist files (m3u or pls or whatever) in a way that RuneAudio will be able to play? Even if I need to manipulate them before adding them (e.g. to change filepaths), or treat them as 'albums' by adding them to the music directory (I play from a NAS). Then they can be added to the 'on the go' playlist in the same way as adding a complete album works at present.

I have a number of playlists (smart and otherwise) from iTunes and would like to be able to use them on RuneAudio.

I know there's mention of being able to save and load playlists in the new version, but I didn't know if that means you have to create a playlist in the GUI first, then save it, or if an existing playlist can be imported / copied.

I've just switched from Volumio, by the way - for some reason that was giving me regular dropouts playing from a NAS. Thought I'd give RuneAudio a try and so far no dropouts at all - great stuff. I'm hoping it will work easily with my HiFiBerry when it arrives....
brotheroak

Postby jotak » 28 May 2014, 07:08

If I remember well (can't try it right now), playlists are M3U files saved in /var/lib/mpd/playlists, so yes you should be able to get all your existing playlists without much work.
jotak

Postby brotheroak » 28 May 2014, 07:42

Thanks Jotak, appreciate that. Just tried it and it seemed to work when I added a .m3u (though not a .pls for some reason) - the playlist appeared at the top level of the browse window. A great start! Now I just have to figure out what path to use for the entries in the playlist (relative or absolute, windows "\" or linux "/", etc, etc. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it, or when I get it to work (at the moment the playlist is listed, but selecting to play it adds nothing to the 'on the go' playlist) I'll post here, for completion.
brotheroak

Postby brotheroak » 28 May 2014, 15:15

Ok, I'm about to give up. I have stripped down to a basic m3u file with a single entry (and no extended m3u tags), and tried many different permutations of the directory path to the single mp3 file, and none of them work. The m3u filename appears in my browse page, but clicking on it to add to the playlist fails (despite a bubble saying "Test added"). Looking at the logfile always gives "db: no such directory"

The single mp3 file has no spaces in the filename, nor does any of the directory path (to remove another possibility of a problem). The mp3 file itself does appear in the browse window in the right place, and does play when the mp3 file is clicked on (just not when the playlist file is clicked on)

I read that the playlist entries need to be referenced relative to the music path (/mnt/MPD) which is why I tried that. My NAS area is called HDD

I've tried all of the following single line versions:

\mnt\MPD\HDD\Muse\Absolution\TimeIsRunningOut.mp3

/mnt/MPD/HDD/Muse/Absolution/TimeIsRunningOut.mp3

\HDD\Muse\Absolution\TimeIsRunningOut.mp3

/HDD/Muse/Absolution/TimeIsRunningOut.mp3

HDD\Muse\Absolution\TimeIsRunningOut.mp3

HDD/Muse/Absolution/TimeIsRunningOut.mp3

(as well as a few other variants, but I think one of the above should have worked!). What am I doing wrong?
brotheroak

Postby jotak » 28 May 2014, 19:13

Can you try this :
- put your simple m3u file in /var/lib/mpd/playlist
- I think path in this file should be the full filesystem path, linux-style ; for instance /mnt/MPD/HDD/Muse/Absolution/TimeIsRunningOut.mp3 (make sure this path exists indeed)

name this playlist for instance "test.m3u"

now run :
Code: Select all
mpc clear
mpc load test
mpc play

Tell us if you get errors printed on the terminal, or if it works...

Good luck!
jotak

Postby brotheroak » 28 May 2014, 20:32

Thanks Jotak,

That works nicely from the command line. No terminal errors (just info line displayed) and the track plays.

Selecting the same playlist from the browse tab in the GUI still doesn't work though (bubble pops up saying "added to playlist test" but nothing in the playlist and nothing plays

I used a more complicated playlist (with extended info, multiple tracks, spaces in the filenames) and used the path you suggested. Again, from the command line it all got loaded correctly and played. From the GUI it didn't.
brotheroak

Postby mickburke » 02 Sep 2019, 21:47

And for the 'non linux guy' what's the easiest way to copy a .m3u from my PC to that folder on my Raspberry pi?

Thanks!!
mickburke

Postby janui » 03 Sep 2019, 07:50

Hi mickburke,
mickburke wrote:...And for the 'non linux guy' what's the easiest way to copy a .m3u from my PC to that folder on my Raspberry pi? ...
If you are using 0.5b you can switch samba on with read/write access in the Settings UI. Then you can open the file share on your PC, it should appear automatically in the network directory. Most important directories are mapped, then it is just copy and paste or drag and drop.
You should switch read/write access off when it is not needed.
janui
janui

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Feature request