NuForce DDA-100

Working DACs, USB dongles, ...

NuForce DDA-100

Postby rodgersan » 17 Aug 2014, 18:26

Hi there,

Description: from official specs, the NuForce DDA-100 is supposed to be able to play from USB 44.1, 48, and 96kHz with 16 and 24 bits sources.

Device: Raspberry rev B

Runeaudio: 0.3 alpha

Volume Control: Hardware supported (had to disable integrated soundcard in /etc/modules-load.d/raspberrypi.conf to have mpd picking up the right mixer)

Played files:

FLAC: Stereo, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz (cds rips) => plays nicely, no sound glitches or pops so far.

Will test high-res samples and update this topic.

Regards,

EDIT from 20141110::

Device: Raspberry rev B (yep still the same)

Runeaudio: 0.3 beta

Volume Control: Hardware supported not working anymore (change manually mixer_device to "default" in /etc/mpd.conf). I still have to disable integrated soundcard to make it work.

Played files:

FLAC: Stereo, 24 bit, 96 kHz (downloaded music, hum) => plays perfectly, no sound glitches or pops so far.

My rating:

100% raspberry rev b compatible
    80% mpd/runeaudio compatible
    20% for the ratio quality/price
Last edited by rodgersan on 12 Nov 2014, 22:09, edited 4 times in total.
rodgersan

Re: NuForce DDA-100

Postby ACX » 18 Aug 2014, 02:16

The last "section" is the USB board, which appears very similar to the USB implementation I've seen in other NuForce products like the DAC-9, but different than my NuForce DDA-100 where USB is integrated into the main board itself. USB operates in asynchronous mode and the chip itself has NuForce labeling rather than one of the usual suspects like XMOS, VIA, C-Media, or Tenor.
(source: head-fi.org)

Let us know how it performs...
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: NuForce DDA-100

Postby rodgersan » 10 Nov 2014, 15:50

Hello,

Added information about the DAC not all RuneAudio features tested (but not relevant to the DAC actually). It is a matter of time before it is 100% RuneAudio/mpd features functional but it is definitely compatible with the Raspberry Pi rev B.

Could be me, my ears, my speakers or the music I am listening to but no audible difference between vinyl rips and cd rips. Will compare as soon as I can.

I am actually satisfied, thank you RuneAudio developers! It took me several months to have mpd running correctly from a custom mpd (on Archlinux back in December 2012) to Raspyfi (in December 2013 when I decided to give it a second try after an OpenElec hiatus of 1 year).

I may buy next year a more powerful device to run OpenElec and I will for sure try RuneAudio first if possible.

Regards,
rodgersan

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Compatibility list