No sound RPI3B and HiFi Berry Digi Pro

Raspberry Pi related support

No sound RPI3B and HiFi Berry Digi Pro

Postby PerLinden » 28 Mar 2019, 10:11

I have used this Equipment for say 4 weeks. It is mounted in a HiFi Berry metal case and well protected. I am using the transformer output.
Rune version is the "-05 for almost all RPI models".
The ambient temp is 27 - 30 DegC 24/7.
According to the Rune Web Ui, everything is working flawlessly. Media on Network and USB visible. Plalyist configurable. Selecting files from the playlist for playing, no problems. The "blue circle" in the play window indicates the progress. Artwork iss shown.
I have multichecked the configuration and set up. Everything OK and like I used to have it for about a year by now.
The amplifier is "ruled out", I have checked the inputs with my CD player (digital signal of course).

Every suggestion what to look for is very much apreciated !
I will also Contact HiFi Berry.

https://pastebin.com/dL1k9irT

Best regards

---------------------------------------------------------------
Today, about 2 weeks later.

Exactly the same issue as descibed above.
And the remedy was to mount a newly refreshed SD card.
Like in all my precious issues, they are more than a handfull by now !
Thanks !
Last edited by PerLinden on 13 Apr 2019, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
PerLinden

Re: No sound RPI3B and HiFi Berry Digi Pro

Postby MikeC » 28 Mar 2019, 10:43

PerLinden,

I installed my DAC Pro in January using the following steps after my unit did not work the 1st time either
1. Make sure you are using the latest build a gitpull ( either by SSH or /dev in your browser)
2. When that is complete. Power up go to “Settings” - change device to Hifiberry DAC + (the indicated resulting setting may be different)
Reboot
3. Goto ‘MPD”
4. Change output to Hifiberry DAC
5. Set Volume to “enabled - hardware”
6. Set Start Volume to “100”
Watch out that the volume can be easily changed by the user interface now!! This ended up being my issue. I could not hear the working DAC after I lowered the volume by accident.
After debugging the above setup, change back to Volume - “disabled” if preferred in your setup.

If you have doubts about the DAC not working: either change the settings and use the onboard headphone jack to check the RuneAudio setup. Or obtain another small sd card and install standard Raspbian and test the DAC.

Mike C
MikeC

Postby PerLinden » 30 Mar 2019, 12:55

SOLVED !

Thanks for your concern !

I have done all "the tricks of the trade" for this last problem.
I have previously installed and used HiFiBerry DAC, Digi Plus and Digi Pro on RPI 2, 3 and 3B.
Error tracking can sometimes be very annoying !
The remedy was, as so many times before, rewriting the SD card.
I will adress this issue in another thread.

Regards and thanks to Rune !
PerLinden

Postby eea123 » 31 Mar 2019, 12:19

Yikes. How often does this happen? I leave my PI on 24x7, so no booting wear but the MPD is written back to the SD card correct?
eea123

Postby MikeC » 31 Mar 2019, 13:19

eea123 wrote:Yikes. How often does this happen? I leave my PI on 24x7, so no booting wear but the MPD is written back to the SD card correct?

I have 3 units, and of the 3 I was probably re-imaging a problem install about 1 every 2-3 months combined (I keep a backup configured image and use drive cloning software). The devices are: 1 powered 24x7, 1 powered on demand, 1 mobile with a cell phone backup battery.
I found the most common issue was letting the battery on the portable die repeatedly. That one had the most re-images until I got a bigger battery.
The next most common issue is leaving the Web radio running on the 24x7 unit. I was turning off the stereo amp only. I can only imagine the constant buffering does something. I now stop the web radio and that one is fine now.
The only one left that gets an occasional re-image is the 'on-demand' unit. This is in my computer lab/den and it gets the tests of updates and UI enhancements. I now keep a extra image SD around for testing, so it has been a few months since I re-imaged anything.
If you do a lot of customization on the image, or a very large recording db, make a good backup. On a fresh image, my recording DB takes 2 hours + on a wired connection.
Also watch out for repeat power interruptions where you don't shut down properly. The indicator lamp on the Pi should blink 10 quick times at shutdown.
Mike C
MikeC

Postby eea123 » 12 Apr 2019, 09:02

MikeC wrote:
eea123 wrote:Yikes. How often does this happen? I leave my PI on 24x7, so no booting wear but the MPD is written back to the SD card correct?

I have 3 units, and of the 3 I was probably re-imaging a problem install about 1 every 2-3 months combined (I keep a backup configured image and use drive cloning software). The devices are: 1 powered 24x7, 1 powered on demand, 1 mobile with a cell phone backup battery.
I found the most common issue was letting the battery on the portable die repeatedly. That one had the most re-images until I got a bigger battery.
The next most common issue is leaving the Web radio running on the 24x7 unit. I was turning off the stereo amp only. I can only imagine the constant buffering does something. I now stop the web radio and that one is fine now.
The only one left that gets an occasional re-image is the 'on-demand' unit. This is in my computer lab/den and it gets the tests of updates and UI enhancements. I now keep a extra image SD around for testing, so it has been a few months since I re-imaged anything.
If you do a lot of customization on the image, or a very large recording db, make a good backup. On a fresh image, my recording DB takes 2 hours + on a wired connection.
Also watch out for repeat power interruptions where you don't shut down properly. The indicator lamp on the Pi should blink 10 quick times at shutdown.
Mike C

Good to know. I seem to forget stopping web radio stream when I power down the stereo as well. I knew it was a problem with wasting some of my monthly ISP bandwidth, but even more incentive to pay attention to it with the SD card. Thinking about power down issues, I might move the PI's power supply over to my UPS. Easy enough, the Rune unit and my stereo are right next to my PC in the den.
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi