NEWBIE: FLAC Files get cut off instead of fading

Please report any bug found here

NEWBIE: FLAC Files get cut off instead of fading

Postby RB0135 » 23 Aug 2016, 12:34

Hi All,

Newbie here (newbie to Raspberry Pi and RuneAudio) but not a newbie to Audio, codecs, etc.

I was always after something that could be wireless, access my NAS and play through my system. I decided to combine an electronics hobby to see if I could fulfil the job, removing the iPod route. Stumbled across the RaspberryPi (v3B+) and I have a HIFI Berry DAC+ shield. I have also install RuneAudio v0.3-beta.

All is humming along great, playing MP3 files. No pops, crackles or anything out of the ordinary other than great listening output. I do have an interface issue which I will create another post.

I usually play just an assortment of songs and decided to rip some of my favourites to FLAC using the EAC software (Exact Audio Copy).

The files play great until the end of the song.

I have Crossfade setup for 3 seconds and the MP3 files crossfade perfectly.

The FLAC files just stop with 3 seconds to go, then the next song starts. There is no 3 second gap, no 3 second Crossfade.

I have played with the Audio Buffer Size and set buffer before play to 30% but doesn't change anything.

Now, looking at this one way, could it be the way I have ripped the songs using EAC? They all are 16Bits, 44.1Khz and vary between 600-1000Kbps.

In the MPD settings, there is some option for MP3 Gapless playback, but not FLAC. However, the help for that option does state if an MP3 ends abruptly, then to disable it. I haven't tried that as the MP3s work perfectly.

Thanks for any help. I am open to try anything, even if it helps improve Runeaudio.

Thanks,
Rob
#1 - rune audio 0.4, Raspberry Pi 3B, HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Wifi-Static IP, Music on NAS, Technics SU-V550 (RCA)
#2 - rune audio 0.4, Raspberry Pi 3B, HiFiBerry DIGI+ (Transformer version), Wifi-Static IP, Music on NAS, Sony STR-DA5400ES (Coax)
RB0135

Re: NEWBIE: FLAC Files get cut off instead of fading

Postby hondagx35 » 23 Aug 2016, 14:06

Hi Rob,

Music Player Daemon Crossfading Troubleshooting

MPD does crossfading by using the buffer. The amount of buffer used for crossfading is the size of the buffer minus the amount of space reserved for buffer_before_play. By default (2MB buffer and 25% buffer_before_play) this is approximately 9 seconds of crossfading for 44.1 khz, 16-bit, stereo audio. If you have the buffer_before_play set to 100%, there will be no crossfading. If you'd like more crossfading than the default buffer settings permit, increase the buffer_size and/or decrease buffer_before_play in your config file (a sample config file is included with the MPD source and in the man page). Note that setting the crossfade amount only sets the maximum amount of crossfading, it does not guarantee that much crossfading will be performed.

I made some tests with my P2 and latest image.
It works as it should
- buffer = 4096
- buffer-before-play = 20%
My files are also ripped with EACD to FLAC.

Frank
hondagx35

Re: NEWBIE: FLAC Files get cut off instead of fading

Postby RB0135 » 24 Aug 2016, 00:13

Hi Frank,

So it is possible that the Buffer_Before_Play might be set too high, but it did act the same when the Buffer_Before_Play was set at default.

I do have the Buffer set to 4096.

Looks like I will try a bit more testing.

Thanks,
Rob
#1 - rune audio 0.4, Raspberry Pi 3B, HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Wifi-Static IP, Music on NAS, Technics SU-V550 (RCA)
#2 - rune audio 0.4, Raspberry Pi 3B, HiFiBerry DIGI+ (Transformer version), Wifi-Static IP, Music on NAS, Sony STR-DA5400ES (Coax)
RB0135

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Bug report