new audio system - need advice

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

new audio system - need advice

Postby nofx » 09 Sep 2014, 07:39

Hi,

I'd like to install a runeaudio/rpi (+wolfson card) integrated audio system (5.1, av receiver) and I'm competely lost. Need some basic information.
So first off a general quesion:
Which component is most likely the bottleneck in sense of sound quality? How can a rpi/wolfson hold up?

BR
Michael
how did the cat get so fat?
nofx

Re: new audio system - need advice

Postby Aquarius » 09 Sep 2014, 14:41

Any A/V receiver will be a sound quality bottleneck.
- Pre-amplifier will not be as good as a true stereo pre-amp
- AV Amps are always very underpowered (except in the very expensive end).

The Rpi itself provides a good I²S signal. So it's a good numerical source. I don't know about your wolfson DAC but audiophiles will want to separate analog from digital so use an SPDIF out (like Hifiberry Digi for exemple, but there are probably others) with an external DAC (the DAC in you A/V receiver will do nicely).

But "for starters", and keeping your system simple, I would keep your RPi + Wolfson, use your AV receiver (next step: a true stero amplifier) and see where you go with that. Are the speakers good?
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby nofx » 10 Sep 2014, 06:43

Thank you so much!
While I process your information...that's my set I have right now (it's quite old): Harman/Kardon HK620 amplifier and 2 JBL LX8 speakers.
nofx

Postby Midnight » 10 Sep 2014, 08:26

Aquarius wrote:- AV Amps are always very underpowered (except in the very expensive end).

Most AV amps won't drive their specified output power to all channels (5 or 7) at the same time. Output power is measured when only one or two channels are driven. But that's no problem if you are using a stereo only system. Furthermore: amplifier output power is overrated ;)
Midnight

Postby Aquarius » 11 Sep 2014, 09:29

Most specs I see on the market for AV amps are "one channel driven" which (in my humble opinion) tells a lot about those things. (no seperate power supplies, for instance).

To each their own opinion I guess :) I will accept any opinion as valid if based on personnal experience instead just reading things on the net. I can only tell about my experience with trying different power-amps.

Mostly, the pre-amp sucks in those things, though. (again, except at the high end).
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby Aquarius » 11 Sep 2014, 09:41

nofx wrote:Thank you so much!
While I process your information...that's my set I have right now (it's quite old): Harman/Kardon HK620 amplifier and 2 JBL LX8 speakers.

Keep that amp! It will be probably better than any new Audio/Video amp below 2k$ (or €, take your pick). Or at least, change it only when you will have heard enough improvement with a new amp. I believe you're past the level where you can just buy blindly without listening to.
This amp would be considered "vintage" by most, but they did make good gear at that time.
I don't know nothing about your speakers, so I can't comment :)
-- Aquarius
Aquarius

Postby Midnight » 11 Sep 2014, 10:05

Aquarius wrote:Most specs I see on the market for AV amps are "one channel driven" which (in my humble opinion) tells a lot about those things. (no seperate power supplies, for instance).

Sure, that's what I've said. IIRC the funniest spec I've seen at Onkyo's AVR line: all power specs measured by one channel driven and 1 % THD :mrgreen: But at least they are honest about the measurement details.
And even if it is a one channel measurement and the AVR outputs 100 W, then you will have at least 2x50 W which is enough for usual home usage. This is why I've said power output is overrated.

Aquarius wrote:To each their own opinion I guess :) I will accept any opinion as valid if based on personnal experience instead just reading things on the net. I can only tell about my experience with trying different power-amps.

I've owned a Marantz SR5004 AVR which in my opinion was not worse or underpowered compared to my current Pioneer stereo amp. I did not change it for it's poor sound, just for the better look and feel of the stereo amp ;)
Midnight

Postby nofx » 11 Sep 2014, 13:56

Aquarius wrote:Keep that amp! It will be probably better than any new Audio/Video amp below 2k$ (or €, take your pick). ...
Glad to hear!

Aquarius wrote:...
I don't know nothing about your speakers, so I can't comment :)
I intent to buy 4 speakers for a room with approx. 60m^2 (645 foot^2). Would like to have them hanging in the corner. Or is this a bad idea ( <> standing on the floor)?
Which speakers do you recommend (price range up to 1500 Euro / 2000 USD)?

Little confused about the channel/output discussion but my guts tell me I'm good to go with my amp.
nofx

Postby Midnight » 11 Sep 2014, 14:03

As you are from Württemberg: Speakers -> http://www.nubert.de/
Why do you want 4 speakers? If you are listening to stereo music, buy 2 speakers. With a big room take a look at the nuBox 683. If you also want to have your speakers to look really great take the nuLine 284 ;)

Hanging in the corner is not a good idea. Most speakers want to have some space between themselve and the walls.

Keep your amp, it's fine.
Midnight

Postby nofx » 11 Sep 2014, 14:43

@Midnight
Delightful! That's right around my corner. Gonna browser the website..

Thought 4 speakers might give a better sound experience.
nofx

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Hi-Fi systems