network mount suddenly stopped working

Raspberry Pi related support

network mount suddenly stopped working

Postby matt » 18 Aug 2019, 04:51

Hi
Im using a pi 3b with rune 0.5 up to date with gitpull.
Everything has been working until I last tried to play some music and found that the network mount had failed.
Tried remounting with no success.
Have re flashed the sd card and done a gitpull and it still will not mount.
I notice the box where the ip address of the nas is entered goes green while trying to mount, presumably this means it can access the nas but not the required folders (?)
It runs through all the different vers. to attempt to mount but each fails and ends with the message ' mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)'
I have made no changes to the nas so cant work out why this would suddenly stop working.
Very frustrating, please help!
matt

Re: network mount suddenly stopped working

Postby janui » 18 Aug 2019, 10:33

Hi matt,
matt wrote:Everything has been working until I last tried to play some music and found that the network mount had failed.
Nothing has changed in this part of the code for quite some time (before february 2019). I suspect a file protection problem on your NAS or an error in the IP address or directory path.
You could try to mount it manually via SSH. The diagnostics provided are sometimes better than provided via the UI. Here is the simplest form of the command:
Code: Select all
mkdir /mnt/MPD/NAS/<mount_name>
mount -t cifs -o username=<share_username>,password=<share_password> "//<ip-address>/<directory_path>" "/mnt/MPD/NAS/<mount_name>"
Best not to use spaces in the username, password and mount name.
If this fails try to mount the share folder from a windows machine.
If you are trying to mount files which reside on a Windows 10 machine this could be a problem. Microsoft have recently changed some of their defaults and the way usernames and passwords are handled by cifs.
matt wrote:I notice the box where the ip address of the nas is entered goes green while trying to mount
This means that the basic formatting check is successful, nothing more.
janui
janui

Postby matt » 19 Aug 2019, 11:17

Hi Janui, thanks for your help
when I try to mount via ssh after 'mount -t cifs -o username=admin ,password=pearl1 "//192.168.1.111/music/AllMusic" ' I get 'mount: 192.168.1.111/music/AllMusic: cant find in /etc /fstab.
I have checked and rechecked and rechecked again the ip address and path, I am sure they are correct.
I can access the the folder and play music from it with win 8.1, win 10, mac os mojave, samsung t.v , samsung phone and Denon receiver.
The folder is on a Synology Nas with guest access enabled.
Any more ideas ?
matt

Postby janui » 19 Aug 2019, 14:06

Hi matt,
matt wrote:...I get 'mount: 192.168.1.111/music/AllMusic: cant find in /etc /fstab...
You are missing something in the mount command, it should also contain the mount point, like this:
Code: Select all
mkdir /mnt/MPD/NAS/AllMusic
mount -t cifs -o username=admin ,password=pearl1 "//192.168.1.111/music/AllMusic" "/mnt/MPD/NAS/AllMusic"
janui
janui

Postby matt » 20 Aug 2019, 04:52

when I enter this command
mkdir /mnt/MPD/NAS/AllMusic
i get
mkdir : cannot create directory 'mkdir /mnt/MPD/NAS/AllMusic' : file exists
then
mount -t cifs -o username=admin ,password=pearl1 "//192.168.1.111/music/AllMusic"
I get
"/mnt/MPD/NAS/AllMusic" "mnt/MPD/NAS/AllMusic"root@runeaudio(rw):~# mkdir /mnt/MPD/NAS/AllMusic
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token ' ('

Does this help?
Thanks
matt

Postby eea123 » 20 Aug 2019, 12:50

This is probably not going to help much, but I ended up using my admin account not a guest account. I started with, and am still on v0.4. I recall having similar issues with guest privileges when I started with it nearly 2 years ago. Got it working and have just left well enough alone ever since.
Last edited by eea123 on 21 Aug 2019, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
eea123

Postby matt » 20 Aug 2019, 22:18

Yes!
That has worked.
I am sure I have already tried that a couple of times...maybe not. :?
Not sure why the Nas has suddenly decided that Rune and only Rune needs a login and password but its working now and that's all that matters.
Thank you very much.
matt

Postby eea123 » 21 Aug 2019, 09:18

Glad that helped. I know I have a few things on my system to tidy up, like assigning static IPs etc... but if it works it works.
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi