Murfie Music Integration

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Murfie Music Integration

Postby jjg » 13 Feb 2014, 22:26

Hey Rune team, great work so far!

I want to get Rune working with Murfie Music's streaming service (full disclosure, I work for Murfie :). We have a very straightforward REST streaming API and don't use any kind of DRM, etc. We support 320k MP3 as well as lossless FLAC streaming.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is. Since MPD is at the heart of Rune, I'm thinking some sort of MPD plug-in but I haven't been able to find a good source on how to go about that. Another option would be to expose a Murfie collection as a mountable filesystem (via FUSE), although I'm not sure how well that would perform.

Essentially Murfie streams are signed URL's to specific media files, so it seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but like I said I don't have a lot of experience with MPD so I'm not sure exactly where to start.

There's also the matter of providing UI for configuring the account, which is where I would guess tweaking on the more Rune-y parts come in :)

Let me know what you think, or if you can point me to the relevant areas of the source I'd be happy to take a crack at making the changes and send a pull request your way.

Thanks!

- Jason
jjg

Re: Murfie Music Integration

Postby Orion » 14 Feb 2014, 22:01

Hi Jason!
Welcome here on RuneAudio forum.
Murfie is absolutely a very interesting streaming service (especially for FLAC stream support), we are definitely interested to integrate it in our distro.

I think that we have two paths to choose:

1) integration with MPD using internal CURL plugin (in this case we have to make a sort of wrapper that authenticate RuneAudio with Murfile service prior to feed the stream into MPD via CURL).

2) try FUSE Plugin. If you already have a FUSE plugin, we can try it immediately (our RuneOS support FUSE out of the box).

In these days we will publish our new release RuneAudio v0.3 featuring RuneUI v1.3 and from now on we continue the development step by step on GitHub (since now we have used a private SVN, and GitHub only for milestones).

If you want to contribute in the integration you are WELCOME.

Bye

Simone

P.S. Do you have a public API documentation?
RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player
SoloStereo - Alla riscoperta dell'alta fedeltà
Orion
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: Murfie Music Integration

Postby jjg » 14 Feb 2014, 23:07

Thanks for the quick reply Simone!

Both options sound interesting. Here's a link to the documentation for our streaming API:

https://github.com/murfie/murfie-api/wi ... -Reference

I don't have a "production-grade" FUSE plug-in ready yet (just experimental at this point) so I think the curl route might be the place to start. One potential issue is that the way that our API works, a player needs to request a signed URL just before it plays a track because the signed URL's expire. I'm not sure if that will throw a wrench in the curl route but I thought I'd mention it :). I'm working on an alternative method that eliminates the need for a second request (one to get the signed URL, then a second to get the media file via the signed URL), if that would make it easier to integrate with Rune I'll expedite that work.

- Jason
jjg

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request