How to make a multi-Channel auto-play audio player

Raspberry Pi related support

How to make a multi-Channel auto-play audio player

Postby minizzZ » 02 May 2019, 23:39

Hello,

For an art piece I need a stand-alone audio player which plays 5 separate mono tracks in a loop to 5 audio outputs. Because the art piece will be part of a travelling exhibition, where I won't be present most of the time It needs to be able to auto-play when being started and even in the way that If you disconnect the power and you start it up it should start playing automaticly.
Now I found a sound card I like: Audio Injector's Octo http://www.audioinjector.net/rpi-octo-hat. Is it possible to use Rune Audio in combination with this sound card in the way I described it here above?

Maybe you can explain me how or you know another way. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Marinus
Last edited by minizzZ on 03 May 2019, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
minizzZ

Re: Multi-Channel auto-play audio player

Postby eea123 » 03 May 2019, 10:14

I'll let one of the code gurus weigh in on how to setup a script file to automatically start and loop your audio, but on the output I would consider physically splitting the line level signal. You say the audio is mono, are the LT and RT channels mirrored or just coming out of one channel? The physical split will drop the source level voltage, so I'm curious as to the amplified sources for the speakers.
eea123

Re: Multi-Channel auto-play audio player

Postby minizzZ » 03 May 2019, 12:27

They are one channel mono files.
minizzZ

Re: How to make a multi-Channel auto-play audio player

Postby eea123 » 04 May 2019, 11:58

Well now I feel silly, the Octo card you are considering has physical multiple RCA line level outputs. I'm just using a standard 2ch addon DAC card and split the signal after the output of my pre-amp. My assumption is that the GPIO header for output on the Octo card is mimicking the Raspberry PI's headphone jack so that you could use the "RaspberryPI Analog Out" driver for output in RuneAudio?
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi