max usb drive limit or format restriction?

Raspberry Pi related support

max usb drive limit or format restriction?

Postby tsawyer » 06 Dec 2020, 18:44

I just installed runeAudio+r e6; however I am having an issue trying to load music. when I click on source 2 different usb drives show a red circle. I assume this means the drive did not mount properly. both drives are samsung which worked fine under the older 0.5 version. one drive is 256gb and the other is 128 gb and I believe are both formatted nfts (I would need to plug into a machine to verify). does anyone know if there is a limit to the drive size or format restrictions for being able to read the drive? either option is somewhat disappointing because there's a lot of files setup the way I want, I'd rather not have to reformat to start again.
tsawyer

Re: max usb drive limit or format restriction?

Postby ceejayemm » 07 Dec 2020, 18:28

tsawyer

Have you tried formatting your USB drive to 'exfat' or 'ext4' rather than ntfs (which is a Microsoft format rather than Linux) ? Try another USB drive formatted to one of these and put a few music tracks on it to see if this is your solution before trying your complete library. RA seems to find .WAV files automatically but for other music file formats you might need to do a scan of the drive.

Chris
ceejayemm

Postby tsawyer » 01 Jan 2021, 01:07

I should have gone to system to pull it up at first but wound up doing it from a windows box. copied from sources, file system table

PARTUUID=7891ea95-02 / ext4 defaults 0 0

as I said before, it was fine on the previous, 0.5 version of rune. I pulled the same drive and plugged it in, no joy on using it as a source. so the only thing I can see if there's a limit to drive size. that's disappointing. I filled up the 128 gb, upgraded to a larger drive, decided to upgrade the os and both the 128 and the 256 are not usable as a source. has anyone else used a larger drive successfully?
tsawyer

Postby Ears of Tin » 01 Jan 2021, 05:21

I have used the same 2Tbyte drive with 0.4, 0.5, R+e5, R+e6and the new rAudio1. The only time I got the red light was fixed by reimaging the SD card.
Ears of Tin

Postby tsawyer » 01 Jan 2021, 22:23

could you tell me what file format your drive is please? ultimately I'd like to use the setup I have been using the for years: moving mp3 files from my windows machine to the drive
tsawyer

Postby Ears of Tin » 01 Jan 2021, 23:18

tsawyer wrote:could you tell me what file format your drive is please? ultimately I'd like to use the setup I have been using the for years: moving mp3 files from my windows machine to the drive

FAT32. Mounted as a CIFS share.
Ears of Tin

Postby J4K » 05 Jan 2021, 11:27

I Have been using a 1TB WD Blue ssd drive with ntfs format in a powered caddy Since Rune3, Without a problem.

There's 21gig free space left, All HD Tracks.

hth

J
J4K

Postby rlsten » 05 Jan 2021, 15:01

I don't think there is any size limit on the size of drives in Rune. I have used 2.5 inch portable Hard Drives from WD and Seagate via USB up to 5TB and Samsung SSDs up to 4TB using virtually all the Rune versions through Re6. Most of the drives have been formatted in NTFS, but I have used Fat32 for 2TB drives and less in the past.

However, there have been times when Rune has failed to recognize a drive; sometime there will be a red dot next to it; sometimes it won't show up at all.

I have fixed this at times by manually editing /etc/fstab to mount the drive. But I must say it has been hit or miss. I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the size of the drive. It could be a power issue. You could try a different power source--perhaps 5v/3amp is best. Also, you could try hot plugging the drive into the Pi and see if it shows up.
rlsten

Postby jaygothard » 15 Jan 2021, 18:37

I encountered the same issue. I normally just stream files over my network, but I wanted to see if Rune could read files from a USB flash drive without issues as older versions of Rune would become unresponsive when a USB drive was inserted until the library finished updating.

Inserted the drive and it showed up with a red dot. Tried different ports and refreshing. Nada. Read this topic and tried NTFS. Works in NTFS. I assume that it would also work in EXT4, but exFAT is a very common file system. It is the default file system that Windows computers format external drives to.

I understand that everyone should just suck it up and use EXT4, but Linux still represents a very small percentage of PC users and working with EXT4 in Windows can be difficult and or cost extra. Rune not supporting the most commonly used file system on external drive could be a real dealbreaker.

I like the latest versions of Rune .vs Volumio enough to just format to a compatible file system or more likely just pull the files over my network, but I often use my Pi away from home where friends are likely to have drives in file system that Rune doesn't support.
jaygothard

Postby tsawyer » 19 Jan 2021, 15:47

I wound up going the route I was hoping to avoid: reformatting all the drives and copying 165 gb over to them. windows 10 *does* let you format in fat32 but it moves as fast as a gov worker. it was taking hours to complete the task. actually, hours to say at the end it failed on both the 1 tb and 256 gb drives. if you want to format in fat32, install this (I am VERY selective on what I install on boxes, this is free and does not seem to set off any monitors on my network for malware, crapware, etc)

easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

since I use a windows 10 box to manage my music files, I absolutely need to use a format windows understands without jumping thru a lot of hoops. fat32 is accepted by both boxes, I'll just use that so I can move on to next tasks.
tsawyer

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi