Linear Power Supplies - any improvement in sound?

Build/modify/repair equipment and improve systems performance by yourself

Re: Linear Power Supplies - any improvement in sound?

Postby PeteB » 14 Apr 2016, 19:04

If you are willing to DIY, then there are quite a few options. You can buy a box with holes for AC power in, DC out, and a switch, already cut. Transformer, your choice of PCB (many already assembled), some with low noise regulators, a fuse or two, a drill and a screwdriver, couple trips to a hardware store for parts not included (ok, maybe three trips in my case, :mrgreen: )

If you want to fit everything into one box that looks like it belongs with your hi-fi, that's a whole different story...
PeteB

Postby dunghnguyen » 02 May 2016, 05:49

@PeteB: I want to make 1 psu myself so wish your advice for where we can get good of 1) toroidal transformer + 2) linear ac/dc 5Vdc-3A board at the most reasonable price? I can do soldering :)
dunghnguyen

Postby rikardo1979 » 02 May 2016, 06:45

there is really clever and crazy guy who is into noise cancellations, DACs, LPS, etc...
He started an discussion on github so check it out https://github.com/rootscript/audio-dump

I am into a process of finding good LPS for little money. If you going to buy from China supplier always check they have wire all in under regulations!
Very often you going to find that the casing is made of aluminium or other metals but there is no earth conductor wired in! Also make sure you got one with fuse on DC side! As the last thing you want in case of fault to blown you pricey equipment plugged into it

Regarding the transformers used in LPS for DACs and other audio gear, the R shaped seems to be the best choice as the produce less noise than EI or worst doughnut shape toroidal

R-core

EI shape

doughnut shape

I am in needs of more than one as I have multiple RPis at home. One which is in my RaspDAC another RPi 3 for my XBian, than Raspbian based media server, and RPi in Roberts 747 radio

So I would go for unit like this here
http://goo.gl/o0od7s

They seems to use good selection of components, you can customize output voltages, even colour of the unit.
I know few people who buying from this seller and they saying the quality is very good for such money.
Last edited by rikardo1979 on 01 Jun 2016, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby dunghnguyen » 01 Jun 2016, 01:37

Just tried another way round the linear power supply ZeroZone $10.3, actually I intended to buy an toroidal transformer but I am quite curious how this linear rectifier board doing so I tried with a 2$ IE transformer 30VA instead ;)

Input: 220VAC
Output: 5VDC - 5A

dunghnguyen

Postby rikardo1979 » 01 Jun 2016, 07:25

dunghnguyen wrote:Just tried another way round the linear power supply ZeroZone $10.3, actually I intended to buy an toroidal transformer but I am quite curious how this linear rectifier board doing so I tried with a 2$ IE transformer 30VA instead ;)

Input: 220VAC
Output: 5VDC - 5A

if you want the best, get the R-core transformer. They are the best for this applications
rikardo1979

Postby dunghnguyen » 01 Jun 2016, 10:38

Yes ...can you offer where to get it at the most reasonable? Tks.
dunghnguyen

Postby rikardo1979 » 01 Jun 2016, 13:11

dunghnguyen wrote:Yes ...can you offer where to get it at the most reasonable? Tks.

Depends on what country you livve in ;) I buy a lot of stuff from eBay like those LPS and than also from our RS or Farnell
rikardo1979

Postby dunghnguyen » 01 Jun 2016, 16:54

Ok let me find those names out from Google ;) ...tks bro ...be curious with R core since many old MD players assembled in Japan they used it.
dunghnguyen

Postby dunghnguyen » 01 Jun 2016, 18:05

This one looks ok for the input of the linear/regular rectified board out to 5VDC/3A.

dunghnguyen

Postby rastus » 04 Jun 2016, 14:57

rikardo1979 wrote:if you want the best, get the R-core transformer. They are the best for this applications

Hi rikardo1979,

this is the same conclusion I'm coming to....

R-core have characteristics that are best suited for low level source applications. For dacs and source gear in particular, I'd rate them as follows in terms of suitability (from best to least):
•R-core
•EI core
•Toroidal

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... cs.678546/

I was recommended by a friend the S130 is very high-performance. I need a dual unit for my system, DC5V (Raspberry Pi 2B) and DC12V (DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema), so I am thinking of these two....

LT1038cp 2 way linear Power supply, using one 30VA R-core transfosrmer, each groups 15VA power.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Finished-LT1 ... SwDNdV5xUC

ZEROZONE 2 way HIFI Linear Power supply
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZEROZONE-2-w ... SwoudW6Pc1

Regards,

rastus.
rastus

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and tweaks