Library: genre view - multi genre and subgenre music?

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Library: genre view - multi genre and subgenre music?

Postby waves » 11 Mar 2015, 10:05

Do the Rune devs have a plan for how to deal with multi genre tags and subgenre tags in the genre view of the library?

The genre view in github version of Rune UI is nice. But to work well the local files must have good id3 genre tags. I used mp3tag to grab metadata online and didn't pay much attention to the genre tags it set. Browsing the library genre view now I see that it is quite messy when it comes to multiple genre items. Some examples:
Code: Select all
Folk, World, & Country
Funk/Rock
Funk / Soul, Blues
Hip-Hop, Funk / Soul
Jazz, Rock, Blues, Soul
Rock/Pop

Some of those tags makes no sense and I'll edit them. But some music does fit into multiple genre categories. There doesn't appear to be any strong standard or universal practice out there on how to tag mp3 files with multi genre or sub genre music. If the Rune devs declare how they'll go about it then we users can modify our tags based on that.

A few ideas to consider.

One option is for Rune to parse a single genre tag and split into multiple genres if some separator characters are detected. An album tagged "Rock, Pop" would split to both Rock and Pop and be listed under both those genres in the library. Rune UI could when parsing the tags split the genre tag string at semicolon, & and command & characters (and possibly other special characters) to achieve something like that. Frontslashes is a tricky case as it seems to be used both as part of what some see as a proper genre or subgenre ("Funk/Soul") but sometimes also used to separate multiple genres in the tag "Rock / Pop".

Another option is to look for multiple separate genre tags, which if I understand correctly (?) can be added with mp3tag.

A related topic is how to handle subgenres, for example Pop and Brit-Pop. I've seen some use the "maingenre - subgenre" format for their genre tag. That could give a nice, one level list of genres with subgenres sorted correctly, kind of like a one level "Artist - Album" or "Artist year Album" folder structure.
waves

Re: Library: genre view - multi genre and subgenre music?

Postby ACX » 11 Mar 2015, 16:02

Hi waves,
have you checked first the way in which MPD manages multiple genres?
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mp ... ple+genres
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby waves » 11 Mar 2015, 23:39

I tried googling a bit but didn't find a clear answer to that. Do you have a direct link to a reference that covers that? Anyway, if it for example were the case that MPD only returns one genre tag string then would it not still be possible for Rune UI to split those strings into multiple genres (if the string is formatted "rock, pop" for example)?
waves

Postby ACX » 12 Mar 2015, 02:23

waves wrote:Anyway, if it for example were the case that MPD only returns one genre tag string then would it not still be possible for Rune UI to split those strings into multiple genres (if the string is formatted "rock, pop" for example)?

Well that would require a further (and complex) layer of abstraction, and I'm not sure which standard should we use for multiple tags.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request