Let Runeaudio play specific file using URL: remote play

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Let Runeaudio play specific file using URL: remote play

Postby ragious » 16 Feb 2015, 11:27

HI,

First let me say I like the looks and functionality of runeaudio very much!

Maybe this is already possible, so forgive me if it is. I want to be able to play a track using rune audio (which will be running on RPI/Hifiberry) while I am organising my (pretty large...) music library on a Windows PC. I don't want to import/scan my library first in rune audio, I just want to remotely start one track (in this case that is).

Is it (or would it be) possible to play a specific music file using something like this:

http://runeaudio/playnow? [full path of filename including server name]

The tool I am using for organising my library (MP3TAG which is absolutely great BTW) has a way of configuring external applications to start a specific action with a track. But when being able to invoke URL with a parameter, a right click action in the File Explorer would also be easy to set up.

Thank you!

R.
ragious

Re: Let Runeaudio play specific file using URL: remote play

Postby ACX » 16 Feb 2015, 12:55

Hi ragious,
I also use MP3TAG to organize my library and it's wonderful.

The way in which MPD works is that every file has to be indexed in its database before playing it. So, if you want to play directly a file from your PC I suggest you to use the UPnP/DLNA protocol for it (we support that). On Windows you can use foobar2000 with the UPnP/DLNA plugin for example.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: Let Runeaudio play specific file using URL: remote play

Postby ragious » 18 Feb 2015, 19:55

Ah, ok.
This question comes from the need to 'audition' different versions/recordings of the same track which is easier on the Hifiberry because of the better quality compared to my PC. Index the files first is not a very elegant solution. I will investigate the UpnP option, may be there is a way to start this from MP3TAG as well. Will report back when solution found.
So far thank you very much for your reply and good luck with the development!

Regards R.
ragious

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request