Just wondering about pi performance

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Just wondering about pi performance

Postby Midnight » 10 Sep 2014, 11:21

skrodahl wrote:My music library has 28.828 songs in 2.754 albums. Nearly all of them FLAC. It grows only with new purchases of music, so I suspect I will never reach your library size. So I can't really tell if it is your library size that causes the performance hit.

Here is a statistic of my collection with about 4200 albums:
mp3: 31126
ogg: 11132
mpc: 380
m4a: 20
flac: 8510
wma: 0

While ripping my CD collection, I have been careful to have all tags in order. MPD can be picky when it comes to ID3-tags, especially if the track numbers are missing. This is a humongous task though, and it has taken me far too much time since I started dabbling with MPD last summer.

All files are correctly tagged and yes: building such a large library with correct tags is about 1000 hours of work ;)

I discussed the library handling abilities of MPD earlier in this forum. It is, unfortunately, the biggest flaw in MPD. There doesn't seem to be any way of editing tags, you can't see what your latest additions are. There is no random play of your whole library (although RuneAudio is in the process of adding that). There doesn't seem to be anyway of rating music or see which tracks or albums are most played. So I'm using Subsonic to organize my library and to access my music when I'm outside of my home, and RuneAudio for playing music on my rig at home.

After being a long years mpd user on my PC I've finally switched my home setup to Logitech Media Server and my Raspberries to piCorePlayer. Therefore they do not need any performance except for playing the files. Everything else is done in the LMS on more powerful hardware (searching, generating random playlists) and it offers the features you are mentioning (not sure about tag editing though).

I have a BBB left which I use as mobile festival camping player with Runeaudio, because no extra server is needed and as single device Runeaudio offers still the best performance ;)
Midnight

Postby emoon3 » 10 Sep 2014, 17:30

I'm using JRiver on a PC to catalog all of my music and using the RPi as a UPNP renderer. It works great. JRiver does a great job cataloging and tagging my music collection, adding music is quick as well.
emoon3

Postby skrodahl » 10 Sep 2014, 22:16

@midnight: It seems we all have different ways of handling our libraries. This still doesn't explain your performance problems though.

To the original poster, Matt: The library handling in RuneAudio is not awful, it just could be better. Hope you're not terrified of trying it out, RuneAudio is a fantastic media player.

At a total cost of about €60, it will do what other products do at magnitudes of that price. As I stated, I have little to now performance problems with the very simple setup of Raspberri Pi with storage connected to an amplifier.

If you need any more information, or help getting started, we're here to help you.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby matt » 10 Sep 2014, 22:32

I have just ordered a Rpi b+ and the hifi berry dac+. I'm really looking forward to playing around with this. I've got zero linux experience :shock: so I may require some very simplified help at some point, but it seems like a great community here so I'm sure i'll get any help I need.
Thanks for all the advice so far.
matt

Postby skrodahl » 11 Sep 2014, 00:22

matt wrote:I have just ordered a Rpi b+ and the hifi berry dac+. I'm really looking forward to playing around with this. I've got zero linux experience :shock: so I may require some very simplified help at some point, but it seems like a great community here so I'm sure i'll get any help I need.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Cool! I'm happy that we didn't scare you away with our discussion.

The great thing about RuneAudio is that you don't need to know anything about Linux. It's sort of an appliance, like a smart TV for instance. You need to load the image to an SD-card which you insert into your Raspberry Pi, connect the Pi to your network and start it up. From there, you do everything from the web interface.

When you have received your Pi and DAC, we'll be ready to assist.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby Midnight » 11 Sep 2014, 06:50

Does the B+ and the DAC+ already work with the beta?
Midnight

Postby cmh714 » 11 Sep 2014, 14:52

the B+ yes, I have one, cant speak for the DAC
cmh714

Postby skrodahl » 11 Sep 2014, 16:09

@chm714: I believe Midnight wondered if RuneAudio will work on a B+ _together_ with the DAC+

ACX answered that question in this very thread:
ACX wrote:...0.3-beta with I2S support for Rpi model B+ is on the way (matter of days), so you really don't have to worry about that. If you still have to buy everything, then opt for the model B+, no soldering and less power source related issues.

The major change on the Raspberry Pi Model B+ is the different GPIO configuration, which requires new I2S kernel modules in order to make the new DACs function. Otherwise, the Model B Raspberry is fully functional. As could be expected.
-skrodahl

skrodahl

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi