Is rune still being developed?

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Is rune still being developed?

Postby mickburke » 08 Mar 2020, 23:18

Just wondering? It seems a great system, but not terribly active (the latest version isn't even on their web site's 'downloads' page), so I wan to see if it's something I should build around or look for something else more active? Thoughts?
mickburke

Re: Is rune still being developed?

Postby martinb0820 » 10 Mar 2020, 05:53

I had the same impression because the Download link pointed to ancient software.

I found the following: https://www.runeaudio.com/forum/runeaudio-r-e1-an-improved-version-of-runeaudio-t6883.html

I downloaded the 20191109 release from a link on that page and then used the Rune Addons form to update to 20200213.
martinb0820

Postby Mecworks » 22 May 2020, 22:06

I am wondering the same thing. It seems that other players (Volumio, Moode, etc.) are making regular releases but the last official release of Rune was in 2014 or 2016 depending on the platform. That's 4-6 years ago. I'm guessing that it's just in maintenance mode now and is a dying project.
Mecworks

Postby Mecworks » 25 May 2020, 15:32

I had a reply to an issue raised on Github here saying that the project is not dead and that v2.0 is in the works; https://github.com/RuneAudio/Docs/issues/29

I responded:

How is one to know that v2.0 is in the works? I can find no indication on the web site, the forum is filled with posts of barely maintained and/or hacked versions but no announcements of betas or testing of v2.0 and there have been no commits in github for years.

There should be some updates to the web site that are plain and easy to see that indicate RuneAudio has a future and a road map. There should be some official announcements of releases and beta testing leading up to 2.0. If this isn't the project for 2.0, then maybe some documentation here that explains that and a link to the new repo would be a good thing.

Once it's easier to know about the future, less questions like this will be asked and the more help you'll get in developing and testing v2.0.
Mecworks

Postby rern » 07 Jun 2020, 01:36

Hi,

Try this RuneAudio+R e3.

rern
rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby Ears of Tin » 08 Sep 2020, 13:43

Here's a relevant comment I saw recently on the Volumio community board:

https://community.volumio.org/t/volumio-is-starting-to-feel-like-windows-10/39752/17

"Completely false on Rune being dead. I know the web site offers a 2014 version, but if you dig into the forum there are newer versions(this year even) that actually are quite nice and offer a few features, like swiping, that neither Volumio or Moode offer."

It seems to me that while Rune is arguably the best system, it is in danger of falling into obscurity.
Ears of Tin

Postby Ears of Tin » 06 Oct 2020, 06:27

A recent post on audiokarma:

"I remember why I didn’t use Rune. It doesn’t support the Raspberry Pi 3B+ or 4, and those are the only models I have."

There's a lot of misinformation out there. I do what I can to promote Rune out of pure self-interest - I feel it's the best and I want it to continue.
Ears of Tin

Postby surfninja » 12 Oct 2020, 17:16

Hey Ears! Good to see you here too.

At least we tried to get shocker to look at RuneAudio. He did try it but I think he found something that works for him and is going to stick with it. i have no problem with that.
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby fchixon » 28 Jan 2021, 22:09

This is starting to get old. Even requests for a new version are going silent. I liked my RuneAudio but it would be good to update to modern systems with PI/Linux OS security fixes and such.

From looking at the old Github, it appears to mainly be a bunch of packages rather than code to build and update as the universe of platforms changes.

There is no repository that others who are interested can do anything and just unclear and old responses in the forum.

There are not many alternatives and this is a very good simple system. Perhaps it is the thing underlying all of the new streaming boxes that the product makers have been introducing.

At least there are no new open music formats yet. I understand that streaming services are a moving target with API changes, but Rune seems better for my home library than streaming anyway.
fchixon

Postby Ears of Tin » 28 Jan 2021, 23:44

fchixon wrote:From looking at the old Github,

Not clear to me which Github you are referencing. Have you seen https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1. There's been a lot of activity recently.
Ears of Tin

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to General discussion