[Tips] IR Remote - Using Cheap USB PC Remote with Rune

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: IR Remote - Using Cheap USB PC Remote with Rune

Postby lapor » 02 Jan 2018, 20:28

Hey,

i decided to move to just one Raspberry with dual boot (RuneAudio and OSMC). Is there a way to use tvs remote cotrol? I am using it now with OSMC (just OSMC on Raspberry), but I cannot use it to boot from RuneAudio to OSMC.

Thanks
lapor

Postby rern » 05 Jan 2018, 04:44

@lapor,

The reason I chose the cheap remote because I’ve tried my tv remote but I could not get it working via LIRC on RuneAudio.

Initially, I started with an icon/menu for a mouse click to switch between OSes which its usb port was easier to install than an ir module. Then shopped for a cheap wireless mouse but got the cheap remote as a mouse + keyboard instead. As I realized it’s just used as a switch and there’re keyboard functions in the remote. So I replaced the icon/menu to a press of a button which is much easier. Even better the remote can be configured for OSMC quite easily. But with a drawback, it’s too small.

Fortunately, my JP1 remote can learn from most any remotes. It’s just adding another device to it. I’ve been using my single JP1 remote for all of my devices, TV + Amp + RuneAudio + OSMC.

As I found out that if RuneAudio local browser was disabled, the cheap remote stop working. I think I will try the LIRC again.
rAudio @ https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi 3B > SMSL M8 DAC
Raspberry Pi Zero W
rern

Postby hondagx35 » 05 Jan 2018, 13:00

Hi rern,

As I found out that if RuneAudio local browser was disabled, the cheap remote stop working. I think I will try the LIRC again.

This is because "xbindkeys" does not get started anymore:
Code: Select all
# install multimedia keyboard shortcuts
xbindkeys &

You have to start it with a service instead.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby lapor » 09 Jan 2018, 19:03

@rern

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible, to add parts from kodi/osmc that works with tv remotes and implement it in Rune?
lapor

Postby MarmiteSandwich » 03 Feb 2019, 14:35

hondagx35 wrote:On my RP2 with local browser enabled i can restart xbindkeys without rebooting:
root@runeaudio(rw):~# killall xbindkeys
root@runeaudio(rw):~# export DISPLAY=":0"
root@runeaudio(rw):~# xbindkeys

Frank

Hi Frank - help!
I have been messing with my RaspPi/RuneAudio in order to try and solve a problem with streaming Google Play Music via BubbleUPnP, and somewhere along the line, the Pi started to ignore my IR commands. The local browser is turned on, although it might have been off for a while. When I issue the xbindkeys commands above, I get this:
[root@runeaudio ~]# killall xbindkeys
xbindkeys: no process found
[root@runeaudio ~]# export DISPLAY=":0"
[root@runeaudio ~]# xbindkeys
xbindkeys: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libguile-2.0.so.22: invalid ELF header
[root@runeaudio ~]#

Does it need reinstalling, or something? Strange thing is, I went back to a backup image of RuneAudio, complete with working xbindkeys, and the IR still doesn't work after a restore. Any ideas?
Marmite
Music>iTunes>Minimserver>BubbleUPnP>RasPi3BMPD>
CambridgeAudioDACMagic>CyrusIIIi>Mission752>MyEars
MarmiteSandwich

Re: [Tips] IR Remote - Using Cheap USB PC Remote with Rune

Postby eea123 » 03 Feb 2019, 19:10

Very cool. Thanks for posting this. I actually have distributed IR throughout my house, but with Rune have been using the Android app on a tablet via WiFi. Nice discussion and write-up on the JP1 remote.
eea123

Postby hondagx35 » 04 Feb 2019, 00:14

Hi Marmite,

did you update (pacman) any packages?

Frank
hondagx35

Postby MarmiteSandwich » 04 Feb 2019, 09:41

hondagx35 wrote:Hi Marmite,

did you update (pacman) any packages?

Frank

No - the first time I used ssh to access RuneAudio was to try the commands above. I tried many different settings via the web UI.
Marmite
MarmiteSandwich

Postby carlmart » 12 Aug 2019, 22:50

Hi,

Even if I placed this question separately on another topic, what seem to have tried might be what I'm looking for.

Which is what the topic title says: using an USB remote with Rune Audio.

I already have two that I bought and should be coming any day now, one being that generic type, with control buttons and a QWERTY keyboard.

My idea was to use it with a Mecool Android TV Box that I have, where I also tried an air-mouse. An IR receiver plugs on the unit and the IR controls it.

So I wonder how much of that can I do on the Raspberry with Rune Audio.

I already discarded most Linux audio players, but one, because of this. Most used a smartphone or tablet to control the audio player, selecting musics and all that. That I do not want.

So please tell if there were any limitations to using such an USB remote, and what were them.

My idea is to place a 7" or 10" touchscreen close to the Raspberry to select the music and to play it. But I want to have a remote for that too.
carlmart

Postby MarmiteSandwich » 12 Aug 2019, 23:16

Hello Carl,
I never got the USB remote to work again in the way it had worked previously with Runeaudio. Something changed with Runeaudio and nobody seemed to know why. I eventually abandoned Runeaudio because the version of MPD which was built into it was too old and it caused problems with Google Play when used as a UPnP renderer. Since I only wanted a UPnP renderer, and not a control point or server, Runeaudio was over specified anyway.

Sorry, I can't help with the remote issue, but I can recommend a better way of using the Raspberry Pi as a renderer (including remote control for play/pause, next/previous track and volume control). For control, I find Upplay for Windows to be most convenient for me.
Marmite.
MarmiteSandwich

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi