IR Receiver & Remote support

Raspberry Pi related support

IR Receiver & Remote support

Postby njp » 14 Oct 2014, 18:23

Sorry for the questions but just want to integrate as much as possible into this build in it's prototype state, before I even think about designing a chassis. The project details are on http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/my-project-and-a-couple-small-questions-t472.html.

I have this:
20141014_181134_Android.jpg
20141014_181134_Android.jpg (99.24 KiB) Viewed 7395 times

It is a USB IR Remote and Receiver, I personally think it's THE best media center remote around and I've used loads - ATI's Remote Wonders and numerous ones that come with tv cards and standalone to use with Windows MCE. This beauty came with a HP Expresscard DVB-T Tuner (that in turn came with certain HP Pavilion media laptops and pcs in 2006/07/08) but the remote I've had plugged into my laptop and have used for years without the DVB-T card. The remote is the best feeling remote of any other, excellent quality plastic and buttons, extremely sturdy. And look at the amount of cable the IR receiver comes with!

If anyone wants a MCE remote to use with the computer/pc this is the one to get. Got a second one too and was wondering if it's possible runeaudio can utilise this? If so I can integrate the IR receiver! Doesn't matter about the bulk of the remote functions, just being able to use the play/stop/skip is enough to navigate a playlist when not using the UI via my phone or tablet.

It's nothing too proprietary, in the device manager it's a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.

Thanks again and sorry to be pestering people on this forum for what may be simple "see it while blind" linux stuff for many of you.
Hardware: Raspberry PI Model B + IQaudiO PI-DAC + D-Link DUB-H7 + TP-Link TL-WN722N & 5dBI Antenna

Software: runeaudio v0.3 alpha
njp

Re: IR Receiver & Remote support

Postby skrodahl » 14 Oct 2014, 20:25

I really like the Logitech Harmony remotes. It lets you have one remote control for everything.

With your favorite remote control, adding an IR-receiver to the Raspberry Pi requires very little magic indeed:
https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-ir- ... r/overview
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby njp » 14 Oct 2014, 21:00

Aah yep the Harmony remotes are the holy grail, I don't even compare them to MCE remotes as they're in a different league. Aside from them, I do love the HP as a conventional MCE remote, it's nice to have something that isn't tacky in build quality, and the HP remote just feels brilliant.

Mmmm this is very interesting, I have some IR diodes as well so going to wire upto the GPIO and give it a shot! I'm assuming I'll be able to access the lirc package from the SSH or even just from the PI whilst connected to HDMI screen and KBD?

Think I've also found a lirc config file for this HP remote off the lirc website in their supported remotes directory. But from the instructions you posted off the adafruit site, looks like I'll be able to make my own. Just want a few functions, not the whole remote. Thanks for your knowledge!
Hardware: Raspberry PI Model B + IQaudiO PI-DAC + D-Link DUB-H7 + TP-Link TL-WN722N & 5dBI Antenna

Software: runeaudio v0.3 alpha
njp

Postby gswg » 17 Oct 2014, 18:26

All, I've placed some code on github.com/iqaudio/tools which will take IR input and adjust the volume using alsa commands.

The source is there and comments show which GPIO to use and how to compile the code.

The difficult part (IMHO) is getting the LIRC to work with your remote :-)

Gordon@iqaudio.com
gswg

Postby pmoorhead » 11 Nov 2014, 22:04

I've been unable to get LIRC service running.
I'm updating Archlinux (pacman -Syu) and then installing lirc and lirc-utils. It seems to succeed, but unlike performing the equivalent steps on a Debian based image, I don't get a running LIRC service at the end of it. there's no lirc.service file and if I create one it doesn't work. Can someone tell me the exact series of steps required to take a runeadio 3 beta and install LIRC properly?

The objective here btw is to control the amp via the pi wtih an ir transmitter using this brilliant project - http://alexba.in/blog/2013/02/23/contro ... m-the-web/
works perfectly with MPD on a raspbian build but I really want my runeaudio UI!

thanks,
pmoorhead

Postby ACX » 11 Nov 2014, 22:26

Hi pmoorhead,
have you taken a look at this page?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LIRC
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby pmoorhead » 11 Nov 2014, 23:01

indeed I did. that's what I tried. several times in fact, going back to a clean rune build each time. if its working for others then I'm just being a derp, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong since I have no trouble at all with Debian/Ubuntu.
pmoorhead

Postby hondagx35 » 12 Nov 2014, 09:29

Hi,

AchLinux/RuneAudio is based on systemd!
Try to follow the description from this link:
http://www.arch-ed.dk/systemd-lircd-mceusb-xbmc-and-arch-linux/

- install lirc
- configure lirc
- test it
- generate unit-file (systemd)
- enable lircs systemd.service
- start lircs systemd.service

frank
hondagx35

Postby pmoorhead » 13 Nov 2014, 21:30

thanks. that got me a little further - I can now get Lirc to run, but it's not configured quite right.
The problem at this point is that I can't find the
/etc/modules
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf
or their equivalent where I would define things such as
lirc_dev
lirc_rpi gpio_in_pin=23 gpio_out_pin=22

as explained in http://alexba.in/blog/2013/01/06/settin ... spberrypi/

without this I can't actually drive the ir transmiiter properly.
pmoorhead

Postby hondagx35 » 13 Nov 2014, 21:52

Hi,

On RuneOS "/etc/modules" is "/etc/modules-load.d/raspberrypi.conf"
On Arch Linux "/etc/lirc/hardware.conf" is "/etc/conf.d/lircd.conf"

frank
hondagx35

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi