IPv6 Support

Raspberry Pi related support

IPv6 Support

Postby R101 » 24 Jul 2019, 23:01

Is there a way to enable IPv6 on a Rune installation? The Arch Wiki implies that just adding IP6=stateless to the netctl config is all that is needed, but then ping gives the message "ping: socket: Address family not supported by protocol (raw socket required by specified options)."

Using ping -4 still works OK.

No reason for this question, other than curiosity.
(Pi 3B, rAudio-1, JLS I2S over USB)
R101

Re: IPv6 Support

Postby janui » 25 Jul 2019, 09:47

Hi R101,
R101 wrote:...Is there a way to enable IPv6 on a Rune installation?...
I see you are using 0.4b, so I cannot answer your question explicitly. But when developing 0.5b we tried to allow IPv4 and IPv6 to operate concurrently, this led to all sorts of stability problems. We eventually forced IPv4 to be used, effectively disabling IPv6. It is not as simple as is suggested, the IP version is enabled/disabled in many places in RuneAudio. This is because IP addresses are not only used for external communication, they are also used internally for messaging between software modules. So support of IPv6 by all the software modules used in RuneAudio is required in order to use it correctly. In our development version of 0.6b we do have IPv6 enabled, the stability is seems OK so it should make it to the release version. We are moving to IPv6 because it now seems to be supported by the latest versions of all the software components and more and more of the software components are now using it as default.
janui
janui

Re: IPv6 Support

Postby R101 » 25 Jul 2019, 10:12

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, janui.

I look forward to trying v0.6b.
(Pi 3B, rAudio-1, JLS I2S over USB)
R101

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi