indexing from ssh

Raspberry Pi related support

indexing from ssh

Postby tsawyer » 15 Sep 2021, 17:53

is it possible to index a music source from ssh? when I click update database, it has to execute something where it is pointing to a source. if there's no way to automate the indexing, I should be able to run a command and make it cronjob
tsawyer

Re: indexing from ssh

Postby hondagx35 » 17 Sep 2021, 13:35

Hi,

try "mpc" (music player client)

Description

mpc is a command-line client for the Music Player Daemon (MPD). It connects to a MPD and controls it according to commands and arguments passed to it. If no command is given, the current status is printed (same as “mpc status”).

Synopsis

mpc [options] <command> [<arguments>]

Options¶

update [--wait] [<path>] - Scans for updated files in the music directory.
The optional parameter <path> (relative to the music directory) may limit the scope of the update.
With --wait, mpc waits until MPD has finished the update.

rescan [--wait] [<path>] - Like update, but also rescans unmodified files.

Frank
hondagx35

Re: indexing from ssh

Postby tsawyer » 23 Sep 2021, 04:02

thanx for the information. I did try that out but no joy. I kept getting malformed path error even when confirming my path. since the source I'm pulling from is another pi running samba, I confirmed I was using the correct path by df -h. I'm fine doing ls <path> but couldn't get it working with mpc. what I finally figured out was the issue was lack of perm. mpc ls <path> gave me an access denied error. so I would need to play with perms to grant mpc access to the share it seems. I was not willing to do all that when I do have the nas/share working the way I want. plus I'm really not in the mood to have to rebuild something and move the 160+ gb music back to the share.

I was hoping the mpc would let me update my library off hours. I'm guessing what I'm asking it too much into the secret sauce but since I have to create a new library every time I update a box (last time I did it think it took around 5 hours) I'd much rather have an option to sched that function. appreciate the thought, just was not able to use it in my setup
tsawyer

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi