How to update the RuneUI via git

Please report any bug found here

How to update the RuneUI via git

Postby ACX » 09 Nov 2014, 02:40

As you may know, we use GitHub to manage the development of RuneUI (you can follow its progress and contribute to it in its official repository). Among other great advantages, that also allows us to deliver incremental updates of the code, which can be installed and tested by users before they are included in the next release image.

Below you will find the instructions to update your RuneUI to the latest version available on GitHub.

HOW TO UPDATE FROM THE UI
Go to the DEV page:
http://runeaudio.local/dev
1) activate the Dev Mode (in the DevTeam functions section)
2) click on the gitpull button (in the System commands section)

HOW TO UPDATE FROM THE CLI (manual alternative)
Code: Select all
cd /var/www
git pull
curl -s -X GET 'http://localhost/clear'

REFRESH THE BROWSER CACHE
This manual action is needed when static assets resources (like Javascript and CSS files) are included in the update.
You need to hard-refresh the browser cache to see the updated files - in most cases a CTRL+F5 keypress will do the job.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: How to update the RuneUI via git

Postby waves » 16 Feb 2015, 20:18

When I did the steps to update through the /dev page the git pull didn't go through because I have modified some runeuadio files (runeui.js among others). To force the update I first backed up the modified local files to another location and then used these git commands to force the update http://stackoverflow.com/a/8888015 . After that I had to manually redo the modifications I had previously. I also had to do the wifi setup in Rune UI again.

Is there some simpler way to to update from git when there are a few modified local files?
waves

Postby ACX » 16 Feb 2015, 20:49

waves wrote:Is there some simpler way to to update from git when there are a few modified local files?

That should still be the best way to do that.
Another way (if you plan to develope more mods and keep track of them) is to fork RuneUI on GitHub and work there, merging the new commits from main to your repo.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby waves » 17 Feb 2015, 00:11

Thanks for feedback, later on I may try that fork suggestion. I after posting noticed that any files that did not have a matching filename in the latest github source are left as is by the fetch and reset commands. That means a method to update and then reapply modifications could be:
1 go to /dev page and try git pull button
2 a notification lists modified local files that prevent the pull
3 bbackup each of those files with some prefix (e.g. "MODIFIEDruneui.js").
4 do the fetch and reset, following stackoverflow link instruction
5 use some text comparison tool to simplify reapplication of modifications from MODIFIEDsomething files to updated something.
waves

Postby blocker1 » 26 Sep 2019, 19:31

install / uninstall directly in RuneUI, no need for ssh terminal
always reload list from source
show messages during install
installed indication
update indication
modular template for easy to add addon scripts from other source. Also try using netgear router login guide. It might help to speedup this process of installation/ update.
blocker1

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Bug report