How te best use Rune Audio on my audio system?

Raspberry Pi related support

How te best use Rune Audio on my audio system?

Postby carlmart » 02 Aug 2019, 21:04

My plan is to assemble a high resolution audio system based on a Raspberry Pi 3B, which I already have, streaming from a file server by ethernet cable.

The Pi 3B USB output will feed into a Topping D50 DAC, which will then feed my power amp.

Files should be wav, flac and DSD, different bit-rate and sampling.

So I wonder what Linux program would you recommend as my best choice.

My experience with Linux is minimal, but I can get some help around to handle the setup. Some perhaps I could get here.

What would anyone suggest as a good option, preferably one that the person recommending is also using it?
carlmart

Re: How te best use Rune Audio on my audio system?

Postby LeighP » 12 Aug 2019, 21:40

carlmart wrote:My plan is to assemble a high resolution audio system based on a Raspberry Pi 3B, which I already have, streaming from a file server by ethernet cable.

The Pi 3B USB output will feed into a Topping D50 DAC, which will then feed my power amp.

Files should be wav, flac and DSD, different bit-rate and sampling.

So I wonder what Linux program would you recommend as my best choice.

Well, you're already at the right place to get up and running - simply put RuneAudio onto a MicroSD card using your favourite image writer of choice, put into the Pi, fire it up, go and get a drink and then search your network for the RuneAudio AP (on wifi) or the browser front page on your network. Find your file server in the Library.

Configuration is easy - and just read up on the website here.

You're good to go!
https://github.com/rern/rAudio - the new place for rAudio.
LeighP

Postby carlmart » 12 Aug 2019, 22:35

Hey Leigh,

This is very exciting. I can't go out and get a 32G SD card to try Rune Audio as you say, but tomorrow it will be the first thing I will do.

Now tell me something, because this has been a problem on other Linux audio systems I considered: can I run Rune Audio with a simple wireless remote, like an air mouse or similar?

This is very important, and please try to understand it's the reality of the country I live in, which is Brazil.

Most programs I tried relied on a smartphone or a tablet to control the player, and this is not something I wish to do. Why?

Because (and you may laugh about it) I need a remote that can fall to the floor three times a day and keep going, which no cell phone or tablet will stand, not even if I armor it as best as possible.

So such a simple thing as remote controlling the player in the Raspberry, in spite of having a touch screen close to it, will have to be a remote I can get easily and cheaply, and stand a beating.

Can I get that with Rune Audio?
carlmart

Postby carlmart » 13 Aug 2019, 13:28

I've been looking around, while waiting for an answer to my question, and I'm beginning to think it might not be possible to run Rune Audio as I would like to.

The problem seems to be that Rune Audio is a headless system, with no GUI control of its own. Am I right?

Has anyone tried to add a "head" to Rune audio that does not run through a smartphone?

If there is not then I will have to give up on using Rune Audio.
carlmart

Postby eea123 » 16 Aug 2019, 13:04

I think you are more looking at a hardware solution for the Raspberry PI than a direct feature of Rune Audio. Are you sure that dropping a remote would be any less damaging than a protected phone or tablet?

That being said, here is a remote: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3092?g ... gKfEvD_BwE. It would seem that only the phone or tablet would provide the display needed to navigate directories of stored music files.
eea123

Postby eea123 » 16 Aug 2019, 13:20

Sorry, I see that you are also working on the remote issue in another forum topic. Hope you get it sorted out.
eea123

Postby carlmart » 16 Aug 2019, 13:50

Unfortunately I couldn't get the simple remote control question solved on that other topic.

To your question about a remote versus a "protected" phone/tablet falling, I'm completely sure about it. Remotes don't break and are cheap. Cells and tablets are fragile, in spite of any protection they might have, and are quite expensive, at least in Brazil, where I live. Even second hand.

Which is a pity, because there are a lot of systems around that could be used and can't.

For now, I have found PicorePlayer as the only system that allows me what I want.

The PCP graphic interface is rather poor, and it would show on a screen by the Raspberry, which allows being controlled by touch or by a wireless mouse or remote control.

But I will continue to investigate the Rune player, and see if I find a solution.

Any help from anyone around is welcome.
carlmart

Postby hondagx35 » 16 Aug 2019, 17:15

Hi,

i use a wireless keyboard with touchpad (Logitech Kr400) and it works perfectly.
You only have to enable the cursor on the local browser.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby carlmart » 16 Aug 2019, 22:45

I'm having some problems with the file.

This is the 3rd time I'm downloading it.

When I insert it on the Raspberry Pi 3B the program doesn't run. I get a multicolored rectangle in the middle of the screen and nothing happens.

None of the usual thing I get when I run other programs on the Rasp.

The file takes a long time to download and i takes a long time to install on the SD card.

Any hint on what might be happening?
carlmart

Postby carlmart » 16 Aug 2019, 23:02

This is what I get when I turn on the Raspberry with Rune on the SD card.
Rune.jpg
Rune.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
carlmart

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi