HiFiBerry Amp+ vs DigiAMP+

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

Re: HiFiBerry Amp+ vs DigiAMP+

Postby dunghnguyen » 25 Mar 2016, 14:55

@osanto: if you use DAC+ to transfer stereo signal to receiver I am not sure audio quality in this case that you should check the DAC spec of your Anthem 510 with DAC+. Last but not least, the signal then is gone thru amp of receiver as above concern is out of speakers to be a bit different from the case of stereo amp or you should select the stereo mode on the receiver. I tried that why I went with 2nd amp of stereo one after a while :)
dunghnguyen

Postby osanto » 25 Mar 2016, 16:24

dunghnguyen wrote:@osanto: if you use DAC+ to transfer stereo signal to receiver I am not sure audio quality in this case that you should check the DAC spec of your Anthem 510 with DAC+. Last but not least, the signal then is gone thru amp of receiver as above concern is out of speakers to be a bit different from the case of stereo amp or you should select the stereo mode on the receiver. I tried that why I went with 2nd amp of stereo one after a while :)

From what i could findout the DAC from 510 is a Cirrus Logic CS42528 IC DAC, I don´t know if it´s better worst then DAC+.

I have this doubt, how can i choose to use the DAC from Anthem our DAC+? With the type of input? If i use a digital source, my Anthem will use his internal DAC, is i use analog input it will be used the source DAC+ Dac´s, is that correct?

Using HDMI to this operation is not an option to me, it would force me to have the tv on, I don´t want that.

I allways thought that it would be better to have two DAC´s, then just one, but as far as I understood in this process only one is used, correct?

Thanks for all your advices.
osanto

Postby PeteB » 25 Mar 2016, 18:43

dunghnguyen wrote:@PeteB: your advice is really comprehensive. But as what I know 2 channels amp always has better sound in term of music...

Hi,

In general, you are correct, and I personally prefer using my 2-channel analog gear to listen to music.

But in this case, I think he is better off using the DAC in his A/V receiver and a digital output from the Pi/DIGI combo. The 510 is a very high-end receiver, and the engineers probably had the money to spend improving the main two stereo channels over normal surround sound quality. You may as well make use of it.

However, the main reason is the signal-to-noise ratio at the output of the DAC+. You have the combined Pi, the switching power supply, the ethernet connection, all on the same ground.

This is one reason why the engineers at HiFiBerry allowed an option for a split power supply for the DAC+ Pro. There is simply no room on the DAC+ for the filter capacitors and other analog components normally found in more expensive DACs. So, the sound we get directly from the DAC+ will depend on the input stage of whatever amplifier it is connected to.

I tried to answer the question about the Pi/DAC+ v. the 510, there may be other considerations. If you simply "like" the sound of older analog amplifiers (like I do), despite some of the drawbacks, then my answer will not satisfy you... :mrgreen:

P.
PeteB

Postby dunghnguyen » 26 Mar 2016, 03:58

@PeteB: I appreciate for your share. Those info are really meaningful. I have no any objection at all. I agreed that Anthem 510 is high-end receiver that could be considered for stereo audio against to low cost stereo amp.
dunghnguyen

Postby dunghnguyen » 26 Mar 2016, 04:27

@osanto:

1)when you use hdmi connecting to your Anthem that it means you are using your Anthem's DAC. One thing in this case you should clarify with Rune team if Rune passthrough digital or pcm out from Pi's hdmi? For the Anthem's DAC, I have no experience about this CS.

2) You don't need to turn TV on in any case of connection, why do you need this? I say this bcos Rune UI helps us to indicate all info we need.

3) I am using receiver Yamaha RX-V675 that it can decoded up to 24/192. By HDMI connection, the audio output is nice so I prefer to know how the DAC+ is working so I placed order 1 that it is on the way to be delivered. I will connect it to another stereo amp Denon 720AE to compare how? Or even connecting to my receiver to find another feelings ;)

4) For audio, no issue is right / wrong. it is the experience and that is yours. Like foods culture, your taste is sweet but some others like salty that I saw from some countries / cultures. Finally, it is as long as or how much you like it :)
dunghnguyen

Postby dunghnguyen » 26 Mar 2016, 05:09

I connected RP2/Rune to this 5USD amp based speaks (model JVJ V20) it is really nice sound :) , treble and mid are so fine while bass is less a bit ;)

dunghnguyen

Postby osanto » 26 Mar 2016, 10:58

dunghnguyen wrote:@osanto:

1)when you use hdmi connecting to your Anthem that it means you are using your Anthem's DAC. One thing in this case you should clarify with Rune team if Rune passthrough digital or pcm out from Pi's hdmi? For the Anthem's DAC, I have no experience about this CS.

2) You don't need to turn TV on in any case of connection, why do you need this? I say this bcos Rune UI helps us to indicate all info we need.

3) I am using receiver Yamaha RX-V675 that it can decoded up to 24/192. By HDMI connection, the audio output is nice so I prefer to know how the DAC+ is working so I placed order 1 that it is on the way to be delivered. I will connect it to another stereo amp Denon 720AE to compare how? Or even connecting to my receiver to find another feelings ;)

4) For audio, no issue is right / wrong. it is the experience and that is yours. Like foods culture, your taste is sweet but some others like salty that I saw from some countries / cultures. Finally, it is as long as or how much you like it :)

Thanks for your advice.
About the model, today which model should i choose? Pi 2 or 3?

About the power supply, which one ?
osanto

Postby dunghnguyen » 26 Mar 2016, 13:01

osanto wrote:Thanks for your advice.
About the model, today which model should i choose? Pi 2 or 3?

About the power supply, which one ?

You should read this viewtopic.php?t=3256 to find the answer. In term of spec, I prefer RPi3 since it is stronger.

For the power supply I prefer using battery bank (best way to feed Pi vs. normal 5vdc/2A adapter) as I shared the photo above . An important note is to pick the one that has at least 2A output at least, of course 5VDC to feed the Pi

Hope this helps.
dunghnguyen

Postby osanto » 29 Mar 2016, 23:48

PeteB wrote:
osanto wrote:Get the transformer version of the DIGI+ (it is only about $10 more), or use an optical cable. This should be all you need.

Do you think it is worth it the difference of 25€ (30$) from the transformer version to the normal version? I have to buy it on line, and from the several searches that I made, I have this difference.

Thanks.
osanto

Postby PeteB » 30 Mar 2016, 00:59

osanto wrote:Do you think it is worth it the difference of 25€ (30$) from the transformer version to the normal version?
No, I do not. Mine was only about $10~11 extra (and I do not have a spare optical input on the older receiver I will be using).
PeteB

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Hi-Fi systems