hard drive on oher PI

Raspberry Pi related support

hard drive on oher PI

Postby luanvan24 » 18 Jul 2019, 10:42

I have an external hard drive attached to PI 2. Is there any way I can mount the hard drive on the PI B +? Thank you.
luanvan24

Re: hard drive on oher PI

Postby janui » 19 Jul 2019, 10:23

Hi luanvan24,
luanvan24 wrote:I have an external hard drive attached to PI 2. Is there any way I can mount the hard drive on the PI B +?
Yes, these instructions are for version 0.5b.
First, your two devices (your Pi 2 and Pi B+) need to have different names. In the Settings UI you can change the player name (it takes a while).
Then on your Pi 2 in the Settings UI switch Samba ON then click Apply Settings.
You can then mount the hard drive connected to your Pi 2 as a network mount on the Pi B+.
On your Pi B+ open the Sources UI, then in the Network Mounts section click on 'add new mount'. In the 'nas mounts' UI give your mount a name (no spaces allowed) in 'Source name'', add the Pi 2 player name in the 'IP address' field in the format your_pi2playername.local (use the player name used on your PI 2), then add the 'remote directory' name in the format MusicStoreUSB/your_pi2musicdirectory (this is case sensitive, the first part is always the same ‘MusicStoreUSB/’, in the second part use the directory name containing your music on the Pi 2). No other settings are required, leave everything as default, click on 'Save Mount''. If you have the player name and directory correct it will mount immediately, if not check the values and retry.
After it is mounted you will need to rebuild or update you MPD Library on the Pi B+, this should start automatically. It takes a while, let it finish then reboot to save it.
That’s it.
Notes: If you start the Pi B+ before or without starting your Pi 2 the network drive will obviously not be mounted. But after starting your Pi 2 it will mount automatically after about 15 minutes. By using the player name instead of an IP-address for the network mount it means that you do not need to use a fixed IP-address on you Pi 2. For high definition audio files it is possible that it will not work correctly because of the limited network bandwidth of the Pi 2 and Pi B+, you should have no problems with MP3, WAV of FLAC files up to 48k.
janui
janui

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi