[SOLVED] Get DLNA up and running...no sound so far...

Raspberry Pi related support

[SOLVED] Get DLNA up and running...no sound so far...

Postby chrichri » 16 Jan 2019, 08:48

Hello,

I would like to use a Raspberry Pi and RuneAudio to stream music and video sound, in future I would like to build a multiroom setup.

What I did: I took a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a Hifiberry DAC+ Pro sound board and installed the image from this post: http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/runeaudio-0-5-beta-for-all-raspberry-pi-models-t6532.html.

Installation and first boot was without problems. The sound board was immediately detected. In the settings, I set a static IP, turned on the DLNA service, and chose the hifiberry as output device.

In my media server, which is a Synology DS215j NAS, RuneAudio popped up as output device. When streaming music to RuneAudio, I hear however, nothing.

I also tried to use the RPi's standard 3.5mm audio jack, no sound either.

Any advice is appreciated on how to debug this further. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Best regards
Chris
Last edited by chrichri on 17 Jan 2019, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
chrichri

Re: Get DLNA up and running...no sound so far...

Postby eea123 » 16 Jan 2019, 12:21

I use mine a little different, so maybe others can chime to help. I point my Rune player at my NAS as a drive to playback the source files "from" rather than using an app on the NAS to stream them "to" the Rune player. I think your arrangement can be done, but I haven't tried it. I have a multi-zone preamp and allow it to distribute the music to multiple rooms using hard-wired speaker wire runs to each room. I know in this age of wireless, this is a pretty old school approach.
eea123

Postby janui » 16 Jan 2019, 17:30

Hi chrichri,
chrichri wrote:In my media server, which is a Synology DS215j NAS, RuneAudio popped up as output device. When streaming music to RuneAudio, I hear however, nothing.
I have not tested Rune working in this way. Try streaming over DLNA from a PC, this has been tested. If you still have no sound, try this: runeaudio-0-5-beta-for-all-raspberry-pi-models-t6532-310.html#p26802
The more conventional way of using RuneAudio is to mount your NAS as a music source in the Sources UI and let MPD index and play your music.
janui
janui

Postby englishtim » 16 Jan 2019, 17:51

Hi Everyone,

It looks like we have three things going on here:

• Getting the Hifiberry board to work properly;
  • Getting RuneAudio to play a DLNA stream properly from the Synology NAS;
  • A multi-room solution for RuneAudio.

I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions about the Hifiberry board (I use USB DACs with my setup), but there's plenty of good advice elsewhere on the forum about how to do this. I assume the OP has checked that the Hifiberry board is selected as the default device in MPD, and that its volume is set to something sensible?

As for DLNA, I agree with janui and eea123 - it's far, far easier to configure the NAS's library as a dedicated source in Rune and then "pull" the music from the NAS to Rune, instead of using the DLNA library manager on the NAS to "push" music to RuneAudio. That said, I've been able to successfully play a DLNA queue from the Audio Station app on my Synology DS212 (older than the OP's device, but running the latest versions of DSM and Audio Station) to Rune. I don't particularly like Audio Station myself (it's very slow, the UI is a bit confusing, it can't do Gapless Playback properly, and it seems to use separate playback queues for each DLNA renderer), but my experiments suggest that it can somehow be made to do the job.

For multi-room, I've seen some postings here about Snapcast - I haven't tried it myself.

I hope this helps,

Peace and friendship,
englishtim
Synology DS918+ NAS >
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ > Behringer UCA202 >
    • Denon RCD-M38DAB > KEF Cresta II
    • Pro-Ject Head Box S > Sennheiser HD 650
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B > Behringer UCA202 > Sansui AU-317 > Celestion SL6
englishtim

Postby chrichri » 17 Jan 2019, 07:44

Hello,

thanks for your comments.

The link to this post http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/runeaudio-0-5-beta-for-all-raspberry-pi-models-t6532-310.html#p26802was the solution! Thanks for that janui. After following the described procedure, I had sound on the right channel. I further had to mute-unmute the channels in alsamixer to get both working.

All the steps I did to get it working:
- Update RuneAudio to get the lates bugfixes.
- Update Synology DMS to get the latest media server.
- Reboot both systems.
- ssh into RuneAudio and check in alsamixer that the channels are unmuted and volume is turned on.
- In RuneAudio UI, followed the steps in the post described above.

Thanks again to everyone!

Best regards
Chris
chrichri

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi