For unknown reason unable install network source

ODROID related support

For unknown reason unable install network source

Postby fuddyduddy » 17 Feb 2017, 11:32

Hello

(In an earlier thread I sought and got help with setting-up RuneAudio with a particular approach in mind. Time marches on and I'm back at the same point again but this time with a somewhat altered approach. Because of that I thought I'd better start a new thread rather than hark-back to the earlier one; besides, I hope I've learned a few lessons in the meantime).

I originally installed RuneAudio directly onto my ODroid C1+ (ie I'm not using an ODroid SD card pre-loaded with Ubuntu or Android). I'm now aiming to control the C1 with a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 (Android ver. 4.4.2, kernel ver. 3.4.5-3952694 22/1/2015).

I'm able to bring up Rune's web interface on the Tab3's browser. But that's where I've become stuck - for three days now. Despite all my considerable efforts I cannot manage to install the network source I want to use. It's a network share named My Music I've created on my desktop computer in Windows 10, into which I've put my existing (pretty meagre) music collection. Right-clicking on it and selecting <Properties - Sharing> the network path is given as \\DESKTOP8\My Music; it's shared with "Everyone".

I ought, SURELY, to be able just to enter "DESKTOP8/My Music" as <Remote directory> and that should be it? But I've tried every different way I can think-of to format that file-path and every time a red cross is displayed in response. I'm forced to conclude that there's some other explanation than syntax alone which must lie behind this behaviour but I can't even begin to guess what it might be.

Any suggestions?

http://pastebin.com/MTz8nmRi
fuddyduddy

Re: For unknown reason unable install network source

Postby hondagx35 » 17 Feb 2017, 12:08

Hi fuddyduddy,

please try "My Music" instead of "DESKTOP8/My Music".
"DESKTOP8" is the hostname from your PC!

After saving the setting return to the sources page.
At the top you will be prompted with the error message.

You can also try to rename your source and omit the blank and other special characters.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby fuddyduddy » 19 Feb 2017, 15:48

Hi Frank

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm afraid I'm having to delay a fuller response until I manage to sort-out what appears to be some fundamental problem with my desktop computer's operation. I've spent many hours over the past two days trying to get to the root of it - so far all unavailing :cry: Until I can sort that out there seems little point in trying to find the solution to the problem I was having with Rune - which for all I know could be a direct result of whatever it is that's messing-up my Windows system.
please try "My Music" instead of "DESKTOP8/My Music".
"DESKTOP8" is the hostname from your PC
Yes. for exactly that reason that was among the (many) variations I tried before posting. Like all the others it made no difference to the outcome.
fuddyduddy

Postby fuddyduddy » 26 Feb 2017, 17:07

OK - back again - having finally been forced to format my system drive and clean-reinstall Windows 10.

Have re-setup network share named "My Music" on Windows 10, re-enabled <File and printer sharing> and <Media streaming>

Thereupon having tried once again to mount that share in Rune I arrived at exactly the same roadblock as before. The error-message reads "Couldn't chdir to /mnt/MPD/NAS/My Music: No such file or directory".

What am I missing?
fuddyduddy

Postby hondagx35 » 26 Feb 2017, 18:12

Hi

hondagx35 wrote:.....
You can also try to rename your source and omit the blank and other special characters.

Call your source "MyMusic" instead of "My Music".

Frank
hondagx35

Postby fuddyduddy » 27 Feb 2017, 11:32

Frank

It's no use - I can't get it to recognise whatever format I use!
The error-message reads "Couldn't chdir to /mnt/MPD/NAS/My Music: No such file or directory".

In the file-path sequence it appears to be searching next after /NAS for whatever I type into <Source name> If so, I don't understand that behaviour at all: I thought that one was free to choose something - anything - just as a label. So far it has rejected everything I've entered there. So what ought I to be putting there, because for the life of me I can't figure that out :?

I suspect I'm failing to take some basic preliminary step which is so obvious to you you can't believe anyone can be so dumb as not to realise what it is. I've got news for you: I am that dumb (evidently). :o My familiarity even with the rudiments of Linux is very slight indeed (and my grasp of file-sharing even in Windows may be some way short of 100%). I beg of you to make all necessary allowances.
fuddyduddy

Postby fuddyduddy » 05 Apr 2017, 19:38

Hello again

Reporting back.

Today after weeks of frustrattion and tearing my hair out I finally hit upon the childishly simple solution to the problem I've been having:- I re-flashed the micro SSD card, using the same downloaded image as originally. Hey presto I was immediately able to mount the network share "My Music" located on my desktop machine. Right out of the box, no trouble at all.

That's all there was to it.

It surprises me a bit that nobody suggested I might try that. I suppose it would just have seemed so elementary. Not for me however. Which kind of bears out what I wrote in my previous post.
fuddyduddy

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to ODROID