Curious on upgrade

Raspberry Pi related support

Curious on upgrade

Postby eea123 » 14 Mar 2021, 11:38

Curious on an upgrade recommendation. Here's where I'm at currently.

I've been running v0.4 on a PI 2B for 3 years now, hardwired 10/100 ethernet w/ a I2S DAC 2-channel RCA line level outs. Primarily I play FLACs off of a NAS. but some streaming of Public Radio.

Honestly, I'm in the if it isn't broke, don't fix it camp. Since I nearly filled up 4Tb with live D/L's and ripping of my CD collection, I have started to insure that I convert SHN and WAV files over to FLAC for better housekeeping. Playing back SHN files would be nice, but I rarely encounter this file type anymore and I can fairly quickly convert over to SHN using Winamp.

Probably my only legitimate pet peeve with this version is with the directory structure needing a better indexing system. If I scroll into a directory and then back out, it always takes me to the top of the directory. I probably could have been better organizing my collection but I have everything under the default \\multimedia\music directory on my NAS. So there are 1500+ individual subdirectories for each album, i.e.
\Led Zeppelin - I,
\Led Zeppelin - II, ...

instead of another subdirectory of \Led Zeppelin\I, \Led Zeppelin\II, ...

I use either my PC or Andriod app to control playback of files. Pretty much though, I just queue up a few albums and let it play. I do use the software volume control if something is too loud.

Not really looking to upgrade the hardware, just a version patch that would provide a better directory interface.
eea123

Re: Curious on upgrade

Postby Ears of Tin » 14 Mar 2021, 14:49

Probably my only legitimate pet peeve with this version is with the directory structure needing a better indexing system. If I scroll into a directory and then back out, it always takes me to the top of the directory.

I used to share your peeve. Both v0.4 and v0.5 worked very well for me but at this time I recommend an upgrade to the latest and greatest - https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1
Ears of Tin

Postby surfninja » 16 Mar 2021, 04:52

Probably my only legitimate pet peeve with this version is with the directory structure needing a better indexing system. If I scroll into a directory and then back out, it always takes me to the top of the directory.

I was on .4 for a long time too but recently (last fall?) switched to the Rern's rAudio 1. breadcrumbs are supported and very nice to have (and not return to the top everytime). To me, this alone was worth the upgrade.

If possible, i'd suggest update your RP to Rern's release. I really like it.

My RP4 boots from USB (and have Rune Audio on USB). so I'm not using a microSD card. I think my RP2 can too i just haven't tried it.

if you do decide and have a lot of web radios, i have a couple of hints to help migrating your web radios (and you don't have .pls files). I couldn't find an 'export web radios' tool and don't know enough about the database to create something.
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby eea123 » 21 Mar 2021, 11:24

Sounds like I'm due for an upgrade. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and advice.
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi