Code, DB, Git organization and releases

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Code, DB, Git organization and releases

Postby jotak » 31 Jul 2014, 15:16

Hello there,

I have some general questions about the organization you have (or you plan to have) regarding open-source cooperation :

- How do you manage DB structure changes (for instance, let's say there's a new setting I need to implement and persist in DB) in relation with a GIT code commit? Is the DB structure stored on GIT?

- What is the testing / validation procedure, if I've developped a new feature that you're interested in? Are you going to test it on several devices, do you ask the community for help in testing each feature independantly?

- Releases : can we rely on GIT for future releases, or is it mandatory to run a full reinstall of the disk image at every release? Is there a way to keep personal configuration between releases (let's say for instance I've installed vim, customized my prompt and installed other softwares)
jotak

Re: Code, DB, Git organization and releases

Postby Mte90 » 04 Aug 2014, 21:39

+1
Professional #Geek, #Developer, #Debian user, #FirefoxOS Training Lead Italy, #KDE/#QT lover, Zagoriano, Moderator of #Wordpress Italy Plus
Mte90

Postby Orion » 05 Aug 2014, 11:51

Hi jotak, Mte90
here is a brief sequence of answers for you:

jotak wrote:- How do you manage DB structure changes (for instance, let's say there's a new setting I need to implement and persist in DB) in relation with a GIT code commit? Is the DB structure stored on GIT?

As you probably have heard, I've migrated from SQLite to Redis in RuneAudio v0.3 and I'm still working on this. Here is a draft of the code aimed to initialize and maintain the schema of the datastore.
https://github.com/RuneAudio/RuneUI/blo ... _setup.php

- What is the testing / validation procedure, if I've developped a new feature that you're interested in? Are you going to test it on several devices, do you ask the community for help in testing each feature independantly?

We are trying to standardize the testing procedure. The goal is to make a "grid" of standard tests, that has to be verified at every code change or new feature implemented (this is necessary to know if some change breaks some other feature). The development team tests the supported platforms directly, but hopes in the support of the community to make this process faster and more accurate.

- Releases : can we rely on GIT for future releases, or is it mandatory to run a full reinstall of the disk image at every release? Is there a way to keep personal configuration between releases (let's say for instance I've installed vim, customized my prompt and installed other softwares)

I'm working on a backup feature, but the only things that will be saved are:

1. Redis datastore (that stores all the RuneAudio configurations)
    2. The content of /var/lib/mpd (that stores the MPD databases)
    3. The network configurations
All other non standard customizations of RuneOS are not supported, but I'm going to publish the RuneOS "cookbook", and recently I've started to populate our RuneOS repo (OS configurations, binary archives and PKGBUILDs), take a look here:

Packages
https://github.com/RuneAudio/RuneOS/tree/master/01_raspberrypi/packages

OS configurations
https://github.com/RuneAudio/RuneOS/tree/master/01_raspberrypi/os_config

So you will be able to easily build your own customized version of RuneOS, then install and update RuneUI using GitHub.
RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player
SoloStereo - Alla riscoperta dell'alta fedeltà
Orion
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Mte90 » 05 Aug 2014, 17:09

Thanks, a documentation about the development workflow?
For example for create my pull request i've cloned the RuneUi repo, flashed the latest alpha in the raspberry.
i've edited the code in ssh on the raspberry, copied the file locally and placed in the RuneUI forked repo and finally do it the pull request.

A simple way for do it this? Like a script for use the repo on github for the ui is a simple solution for develop this part of the system.
Professional #Geek, #Developer, #Debian user, #FirefoxOS Training Lead Italy, #KDE/#QT lover, Zagoriano, Moderator of #Wordpress Italy Plus
Mte90

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request