Can't read my Apple Lossless or AAC files

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Can't read my Apple Lossless or AAC files

Postby bigme » 24 May 2014, 22:45

Sorry for what I feel must be a dumb question but I read on the site that "Bitperfect and gapless playback of common audio formats (FLAC, WAVE, MP3, AAC, ALAC, etc.)" but I've had no luck 'seeing' these files. When I browse the music on my shared drive, I have about 14K tracks only about 1K of them are MP3 (they play perfectly), the rest are a mix of ALAC and AAC and the folders are empty. I read that I have to fiddle with the /etc/mpd.conf file, has someone posted instructions on how to do this workaround?

The MP3's sound great, I am using an inexpensive Behringer UCA 222 (the red one) and a vintage Harman Kardon 730 Twin and big Polk Audio RTA 12C speakers and MP3's have never sounded so sweet, can't wait to hear my more detailed rips.

Thanks for any advice.
bigme

Re: Can't read my Apple Lossless or AAC files

Postby jonclancy » 24 May 2014, 23:39

Yep - as you say, you just need to alter the mpd config file to read Apple ALAC files.

See here:

hello-from-sw-uk-t263.html

and the full solution is here:

mpd-database-update-not-picking-up-alac-m4a-files-t59.html

Use the built in editor called nano.

IIRc, the syntax in PuTTY is nano /etc/mpd.conf

Do you know how to use PuTTY? It's a terminal program.

HTH

Jon
jonclancy

Postby bigme » 24 May 2014, 23:50

Thanks, I'll give it a shot
bigme

Postby bigme » 25 May 2014, 00:16

Well since i didn't know my host name I gave up on putty ( yes I am a noob, but an adventurous noob) I just plugged a keyboard in to my pi and logged in to the pi running rune and edited the /etc/mpd.conf file saved, exit, reboot and now in the ui I've done an update of the music folder so I've got my fingers crossed, wish me luck.
bigme

Postby bigme » 25 May 2014, 19:23

jonclancy-
Thanks for the help, I can see and play all my files! Daft Punk is making the art on the walls rattle, time to cue up some of my test tracks for some critical listening. Can't wait for the next update, everything is super-slick right now, thanks for all the hard work Rune! Now to build a case and make this all look a little more refined.

What is the work load on the pi while streaming? Any reason to actively cool the pi with a fan? In XBMC I can see the core temp, I am wondering if running headless if cooling is not needed.
bigme

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion