BlueTooth

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

BlueTooth

Postby dynobot » 19 May 2014, 15:06

Blue tooth audio works with Linux, is it possible to get it included in RuneAudio?
dynobot

Re: BlueTooth

Postby bleu34 » 26 Sep 2014, 11:56

Copy/Paste of my request in another thread :

Could you add native support to bluetooth dongle to allow direct bluetooth connection from smartphone/ipad to the raspberry Pi in case people just want to stream their music to the Pi without any network configuration (eg when a friend come at home and simply want to make you listening to the last song he has on his phone).
bleu34

Postby Bjarne » 26 Sep 2014, 12:14

And also the other way around.
Possibility to use my bluetooth headset to listen to music from the PI :D

Regards Bjarne
Bjarne

Postby MischaBoender » 28 Sep 2014, 20:57

+1 on Bluetooth streaming support. Would be nice to be able to stream audio from my phone to RuneAudio.
MischaBoender

Postby Midnight » 29 Sep 2014, 08:09

MischaBoender wrote:+1 on Bluetooth streaming support. Would be nice to be able to stream audio from my phone to RuneAudio.

I do not think this is the intended use case for Runeaudio...
Midnight

Postby AndreR » 15 Oct 2014, 12:54

Midnight wrote:I do not think this is the intended use case for Runeaudio...

I'm not sure whether this is an intended use case or not, but I believe the proposal of having BT streaming enabled has some merits.

If BT streaming was not a Runeaudio use case, why enabling (Sh)AirPLay at all?

I can see a lot of potential benefits in implementing support for a BT dongle, limited to the A2DP profile.

Compared to (Sh)AirPlay Audio streaming, BT A2DP streaming allows 'casual' users to stream an audio feed (albeit, not 'hi-fi' quality, but who cares for casual listening... :) ) to the system without much hassle.
In my case, for example, I am running Rune in my own protected wired/wireless home network. I also have a guest Wi-Fi network which allows guests at home to be online but which is completely 'sealed off' from accessing the other resources in the home network (including the Rune Player and NAS sources).

In order to enable a guest to stream to Rune using (Sh)AirPlay I would need to provide her/him credentials to my own 'private' network, which I am typically not willing to do.

BT A2DP audio streaming would allow a guest to temporarily pipe music into the system without giving her/him access to other network resources and without needing the guest to install 3rd party AirPlay clients.

If this gets implemented (ArchLinux seems to have a quite solid BT stack provided by BlueZ) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth,
I believe this should be done in a similar way ShairPlay is currently done on 0.3alpha:
- upon connection, put MPD on pause
- when disconnection happens, resume MPD's Play status

Incidentally, I think the current (alpha03) Rune implementation of ShairPlay suffers from the following glitch:
- When playing an ShairPlay stream, if a user enables MPD from the UI Playback page both tracks are played simultaneously
- Wnen Airplay disconnects, the MPD stream does not resume as it is put on Pause

Repro steps:
1. have a track been played via MPD
2. connect from a client with Airplay
3. play a stream from the AirPlay client: MPD will automatically pause and the AirPlay stream will play
4. from RuneUI, un-pause the track being played at step 1.: both audio tracks will be played concurrently --> mess :)
5. disconnect the AirPlay client
6. Track at step 1. will go into MPD 'Pause' mode and user will need to resume playing of the MPD stream from RuneUI

I believe the issue is with script airplay.sh on /srv/http/command
Code: Select all
if mpc | grep -q "playing"; then
   /usr/bin/mpc pause
   exit
fi
if mpc | grep -q "paused"; then
   /usr/bin/mpc play
fi

which - I believe - gets run both at the beginning ot the Airplay connection and upon disconnection, discarding what has happened between the two trigger events.

Possibly using two separate scripts at begin and end of connection w/out querying the MPD state would mitigate the issue...
AndreR

Postby ACX » 15 Oct 2014, 14:19

AndreR wrote:Incidentally, I think the current (alpha03) Rune implementation of ShairPlay suffers from the following glitch:
- When playing an ShairPlay stream, if a user enables MPD from the UI Playback page both tracks are played simultaneously
- Wnen Airplay disconnects, the MPD stream does not resume as it is put on Pause

We are currently refining the last mechanisms for the 0.3-beta release, and one of them is the active renderer switch, so we'll take the opportunity to check its behaviour and eventually improve it. Thank you for the feedback.

About the Bluetooth feature, we could include it in the future, using the above-mentioned active renderer switch.

BTW, your detailed feedbacks show that you have knowledge of the subject matter, so I was wondering if you were interested in contributing in some way to the project. I also see that you're from Venice, and that's another good point :)
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby bevlar » 16 Mar 2015, 17:38

Bluetooth as a source would be great. As it stands the only way to (to my knowledge) pass audio from Android to Rune is to A. have root and B. use a 3rd party app such as bubbleupnp or AllStream.

While Rune is feature rich, sometimes you just want to play a song off of your phone.
bevlar

Postby otec » 04 Feb 2016, 00:00

Is there any update on Bluetooth support in RuneAudio ?

I really would like to stream music from my phone to Pi even with CSR on bluetooth 4.0.
otec

Postby flega » 24 Mar 2016, 09:01

otec wrote:Is there any update on Bluetooth support in RuneAudio ?

I really would like to stream music from my phone to Pi even with CSR on bluetooth 4.0.

+1
Low cost audio for everyday use: Raspberry Pi 2 -> USB sound card ->preamp+Low-pass Filter NE5532 ->2x TDA7492 amp -> 2 fullrange speakers + 1 bass speaker.
flega

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Feature request