BBB+RuneOS+I2S

Beaglebone Black related support

Re: BBB+RuneOS+I2S

Postby nautibuoy » 24 Oct 2014, 08:17

Yes, VBBs diagram says it much more eloquently than I can write it.

I believe many DACs can accept either (PCM over) i2s or DSD at their inputs and auto-detect and process as appropriate so it would be very flexible if the Rune software for the BBB could output them on the same pins - no switch required!

Ray
nautibuoy

Postby Chanh » 28 Oct 2014, 07:57

VBB wrote:
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.33 KiB) Viewed 8735 times
nautibuoy wrote:....I'll take 'all' to include the dual external clock option functionality so the data retains its native sampling rate. That's good news.
Any thoughts on the PCM - DSD switching question? ....
Ray

A more harmonised interface as shown would be great!:

Hi Andrea and All,

Currently, Miero's BoticOS requires external hardware switches to realign the I2S and DSD signals. It would be great if RuneAudio 0.3-beta would finesse the BoticOS to provide a more harmonised output. This type of interface will gratefully benefit future BBB-RuneAudio user(s) as it seems still a challenge for the hardware guys.

Cheers.
Chanh

Postby jharp » 15 Nov 2014, 03:02

I hope this post isn't perceived as attempt to "hijack" topic. New to site and was researching use of BBB as an audio player and DAC options, and found this. Could not help but notice and admire gear in Chanh's one post with photos. Could not make out any identifying info on boards and wondering if Chanh would mind providing some info and maybe a link. I assume DAC on bottom and amp boards stacked above?

Thanks!
Jeff
jharp

Postby ACX » 15 Nov 2014, 11:40

jharp wrote:Could not make out any identifying info on boards and wondering if Chanh would mind providing some info and maybe a link. I assume DAC on bottom and amp boards stacked above?

Hi jharp,
welcome to the forum. You can find more information about it here.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby jharp » 16 Nov 2014, 02:10

Thanks. Wow! Had not heard of combining DACs in parallel like that. The dddac.com site is very interesting.
jharp

Postby Chanh » 18 Nov 2014, 04:18

jharp wrote:Thanks. Wow! Had not heard of combining DACs in parallel like that. The dddac.com site is very interesting.

Hi Jeff,

I too await for RuneAudio for BBB. Until that is released, I was able to tweak it with fabulous user interface from Jriver direct LAN connected to BBB. More infor at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted- ... er-23.html

Apologies for poor video compression.

Best,
Chanh
Chanh

Postby eragefe » 17 Dec 2014, 22:14

Hi
A lot of months passed since my last post and I can see that the creativity never ends here.
Here is something real fun.
I made some prototype pcbs to test botic with external clocks and synchronous resample.
I received them yesterday.
Until now I have not connected the board to my DAC only made some measurements.
The jitter figures looks very promising.
Only one clock is activated for now until I have read some more how to activate the external clock switch on the botic driver.
I will come back with some feedback when I have listened some music. After all it is music all this is about OR?

20141217_213627.jpg
20141217_213627.jpg (96.86 KiB) Viewed 8486 times

BRG
eragefe

Postby ACX » 17 Dec 2014, 22:43

Hi eragefe,
nice to see you again here after a long time :)
Please keep us updated on the BBB+I2S topic as we are going to port RuneAudio to it soon, hopefully including Miero's work.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby eragefe » 21 Dec 2014, 21:54

Hi again
Weekend and after a look at Mieros site it was only to enable the switch in the software put together BBB and DAC and start playing music.
What fantastic work that guy have done. Anyway
My first reaction was “what happened?” more details more air more presence.
That DAC have never played like this before. Next track the same.
Hi res. tracks sounds fantastic.
Here I have to tell you that I am using the same external clocks as master clock for the DAC chip.
This is a very experimental setup and I know that I have to implement isolators and buffers to make it more robust
BUT anyway I can’t forget the first question that came up in my head.
WHAT HAPPENED?
Imagine you have a very big complex orchestra there a big section can’t see the conductor.
You solve the problem with another conductor for that section who can see the main conductor and you hope that those two are always in sync.
Should that work? For it is very close to what we do in the digital audio business over and over again.
No I don’t believe it should work.
That’s why one has to simplify effectively reduce the number of instruments and musicians and get ONE orchestra with ONE conductor.
That works.
Thanks Miero one more time for the fantastic work with the driver.

BRG
eragefe

Postby ACX » 22 Dec 2014, 03:06

This is great news! Finally after many months we have the first concrete results of Miero's huge work, and they are good ones.
How much do you estimate a complete board with isolators and buffers (to avoid damages to the BBB in case of power failure) could cost?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Beaglebone Black