Audio Skipping Problem

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Audio Skipping Problem

Postby Pete » 21 Nov 2018, 19:21

I have an old Pi B Model with 256mb RAM. It is running as standard. No overclocking.

Just installed the v0.5 for all Pi models.

Plays perfectly when connected by Ethernet, but hen connected by WiFi I'm experiencing occasional audio drop outs. The Pi is in the same room as the router. I have a buffer setting of 2048 and a % before playback of 30%.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem. I really want a WiFi solution as I don't have Ethernet in the rooms I want to place the speakers and Pi.

Many thanks
Pete

Re: Audio Skipping Problem

Postby rastus » 22 Nov 2018, 00:12

Pete wrote:.....but hen connected by WiFi I'm experiencing occasional audio drop outs. Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem.

Good guess, you have solved your own problem! Now, please supply much more information about your WiFi Dongle.... brand, model, speed, etc and some nice person may help you further.

Regards,

Rastus.
rastus

Postby Pete » 22 Nov 2018, 00:55

Will dig out that information.

I was using the same Pi with the same song for XBMC which streamed video without a hitch.

Will post up the information shortly.
Pete

Postby rastus » 22 Nov 2018, 03:23

Pete wrote:I was using the same Pi with the same song for XBMC which streamed video without a hitch.

I've noticed with my setup that streaming using WiFi from a remote connection using RuneAudio any song (FLAC) files above CD quality (16/44) results is skipping. This would/should be an issue with the WiFi setup, not with an Ethernet connection.

I have also noticed that streaming using WiFi from a remote connection using Kodi/XBMC any movies results NO skipping. WiFi is slower than Ethernet.

Regards,

Rastus.
rastus

Postby Pete » 22 Nov 2018, 11:08

Oh
So does this mean with WiFi I should expect drop outs? I don't have ethernet all over the house and was going to have to rely on WiFi.
Pete

Postby rastus » 22 Nov 2018, 14:18

Pete wrote:So does this mean with WiFi I should expect drop outs?

Depends on how dated your WiFi dongle is, thus the reason I asked for you to supply the brand, model, etc.... but, if you prefer, you can do some reading yourself....

"If you have older devices, they can affect your connection speeds by limiting the speed of the newer technologies. For example, on a 2.4GHz Network, if you’re using a mixture of 802.11g devices and 802.11b devices, you’ll get a maximum speed of 54Mbps. But if you’re only using 802.11ac wave 2(latest technology at the moment) devices on the same network, you may see speeds as high as 1Gbps."
https://info.hummingbirdnetworks.com/bl ... -you-think

"WiFi Standards 802.11a/b/g/n vs. 802.11ac: Which is Best?"
https://www.semiconductorstore.com/blog ... -Best/806/

But the question will always come back: which WiFi Standard are you using now? And, for me to know that, you need to supply the brand, model, etc of the WiFi dongle you are using now....

Regards,

Rastus.
rastus

Postby Pete » 22 Nov 2018, 15:24

Hi Rastus

Sorry for the delay. I have only just arrived home and until now have been unable to get the information you asked for.

I have an ASUS RC88U Router which provides both 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi

The WiFi dongle i'm using seems to be unbranded but has 802.11n printed on it.

The router shows connection speeds for the dongle of 5.5mbps tx rate and 24mbps rx rate

i have an Edimax USB WiFi dongle which is an AC high gain antenna (EW-7811UAC) but this is not working with this distro (it worked fine with an XBMC distro). if i plug it into the USB port on the Pi no blue light on the edimax and it kills the ethernet connection. Can I gt this dongle to work somehow?
Pete

Postby janui » 23 Nov 2018, 09:07

Hi Pete,
Pete wrote:i have an Edimax USB WiFi dongle which is an AC high gain antenna (EW-7811UAC) but this is not working with this distro (it worked fine with an XBMC distro). if i plug it into the USB port on the Pi no blue light on the edimax and it kills the ethernet connection. Can I gt this dongle to work somehow?
You should first try this command from SSH and then reboot and retest, its possible that the driver has been added:
Code: Select all
pacman -Sy linux-firmware
If this has no effect, look at this post: 8812au-driver-for-edimax-ew-7811utc-t1312.html#p21547 I have a feeling it is the correct driver. Follow the instructions up to and including the depmod command, the rest should not be required. You need to copy it to '/usr/lib/modules/<your linux version>-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/wireless'. Look in the directory /usr/lib/modules to determine the linux version.
If it still wont work you will need to download the driver '8812au-4.1.13-v7-826.tar.gz' from the internet (for example here: http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi ... u-drivers/) and work out how to install it. There are lots of instructions pages on internet explaining how to do this.
janui
janui

Postby Pete » 23 Nov 2018, 17:59

Thanks is Janui

I'll give this a go when I get home from work. Will report back.
Pete

Postby Pete » 24 Nov 2018, 01:11

janui wrote:Hi Pete,
Pete wrote:iIf this has no effect, look at this post: 8812au-driver-for-edimax-ew-7811utc-t1312.html#p21547 I have a feeling it is the correct driver. Follow the instructions up to and including the depmod command, the rest should not be required.
janui

Thanks Janui. This has worked. The Edimax dongle works. Im getting 72mbps. However, my adapter is AC and I can only see my 2.4Ghz network. I have a 5Ghz network but I cant see that through the Rune Network menu. I tried entering the SSID etc manually but that didnt work.
Pete

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion