Advice how top connect Pi3 to NAS direct ethernet cable

Raspberry Pi related support

Advice how top connect Pi3 to NAS direct ethernet cable

Postby cristache » 09 Sep 2021, 16:34

Hello audio lovers...

I need some advice step by step how to connect my NAS direct to Pi3b via ethernet cable and to mount an folder / subfolders form NAS.

I want to try this DIRECT connection because my home network is very crowded, also the router handle more then 50 connections permanent wifi / cable, and when I try to listen Hi Rez audio DSD files 128/256 on my DAC, I have a lot pops and clicks, also because the NAS is connected far away ( more then 50 meters with CAT 5e old cables , inside wall ) and I try to find how to listen those files without this extra noise and I temporary move the NAS in the same room with audio system and reduce length of cables, solve the problem :D but to be more efficient I want to connect PI3 DIRECT to NAS, to eliminate all switches and network traffic from audio equation.

What I done already in NAS ( ASUSTOR 6604T )
- I already allocate on second LAN port in NAS, static address and same gateway with Pi
- Pi has already allocated a static IP address and gateway.

What I need to do ?
Please try to explain to a very newbie on LAN / LINUX / RUNE AUDIO .
The explanation should be very clear, what need to do on NAS, ( CISM or NFS or something ) settings and permissions and also what settings need to make on rune audio via UI interface or SSH ... or extra if is some.

Thank you in advance for support and advices
Best
Cristache
cristache

Re: Advice how top connect Pi3 to NAS direct ethernet cable

Postby cmh714 » 09 Sep 2021, 18:35

hmm, not sure I have tons of advice/info for ya but....

So the Pi connected to the home network and the NAS connected only to the Pi directly....I would think that you should need to set up route to get to/from the pi and NAS. Setting the NAS gw same as the pi, I dont think will work but I could be wrong. Pretty sure though it wont work that way....if the NAS is direct connected to the pi, then the pi is the gw for the NAS back to the network. hope that makes sense...

I think the easiest thing would be to get a cheapo 4 or 5 port switch for your solution, thats the way I am connected. I have a switch in my stereo cabinet just to handle the junk there and that is connected back to my router.

Maybe some others have another solution for you....
cmh714

Postby cristache » 09 Sep 2021, 22:27

cmh714 wrote:
I think the easiest thing would be to get a cheapo 4 or 5 port switch for your solution,

Hello cmh714
I have already switch, not one , more around my home, but in THE SWITCH where NAS and Pi is already plug in are more then 7 devices like PS5 / PS4 / 4K player / Tv / NAS / PI / PC ... and is a big network traffic like streaming 4k videos / download / file transfer 24 / 24 hours and so on ...

It will be easy to connect DIRECT because I avoid all unwanted traffic for no clicks and cracks on audio playback for DXD files and DSD 128 big files ... I see on youtube such direct connection between Pi and laptop but nothing about NAS and Pi. I believe could be possible but no streamline solution to follow.

I will wait to saw if somebody have tried or experimented similar situation
Best
Cristache
cristache

Postby cmh714 » 09 Sep 2021, 22:55

well then look for info on static routes since I am pretty damn sure you will need to set that correctly for what you want to do

I wish you luck!
cmh714

Postby tsawyer » 10 Sep 2021, 17:02

my 2¢, this may be overcompensating things. I have a pi running on as a nas on my network. it hits a 16 port switch that is connected to a larger switch. all the pis running rune (currently 3, most likely about to move to 5) all connect to the wireless network. all the pis connect to the nas for music. the only 'problem' I have is indexing all of them when I add new music to the nas. I'm running gb switches, unifi aps on the wireless and I do not have issues streaming music (from internal network) or video (from external networks). if you have a single nas and single rune, why not just attach something like the 2 tb backup drive to the rune or upgrade the switch? certainly it's fun to work out challenges but just offering something that may be easier. even on my network, I doubt there's enough traffic to worry about performance issues
tsawyer

Postby cristache » 12 Sep 2021, 12:58

tsawyer wrote:... why not just attach something like the 2 tb backup drive to the rune...

HELLO Sawyer ...

It is not as simple as you wrote. I have a lot of failures with ALL my external hard drives over 15 years ... All on some point after 1 or 2 years fail with all my files ( audio / video / and work files ). GONE !!! I never use for long term a HDD external again, only for transfer huge files maybe, that's why I buy a NAS to avoid somehow this possibility again, or to have some tools to correct ( replace faulty HDD presume not all HDD's will fail in the same time, I've hope). My audio library is bigger then 2 GB but even with 4-6 TB on external enclosure could be covered, but I avoid, maybe with 4TB SSD external could be a solution when prices are similar to HDD drives.

So, what I want to avoid with this DIRECT connection, was POPS and CLICKS, on audio Hirez files, but after I reading a lot, the RPI3 and 3+ in some audio setups with some DAC's produce some "things" who disturb the listening sessions , very badly for my ears. Maybe I found a solution with USB HAT, to avoid RPI3 USB or connect NAS via USB to RPI3 ... I will try this, now I searching how to do this. Advice HERE very much appreciated ;)

Also I buy RPI4 and all POPS and CLICKS in same configuration are GONE. Solution is to keep for streaming the RPI4 ... but on RPi3 was made some tweaks for audio detail and so on and I don't want to loose those tweaks and I want to solve ( if it is possible this case scenario).

Maybe SOME of members form runeaudio forum, have same problems with pops and clicks and with some Kernel settings solve this ? I don't Know, maybe Moode or Volumio has not encountered this problems, but after I reading a lot, on RPI 2/3 /3+ all players have these problems also in some DAC configurations ) ...

I will be tuned here for some advices
Cheers
Cristache
cristache

Postby eea123 » 06 Nov 2021, 12:40

cristache wrote:Hello audio lovers...

I need some advice step by step how to connect my NAS direct to Pi3b via ethernet cable and to mount an folder / subfolders form NAS.

I want to try this DIRECT connection because my home network is very crowded, also the router handle more then 50 connections permanent wifi / cable, and when I try to listen Hi Rez audio DSD files 128/256 on my DAC, I have a lot pops and clicks, also because the NAS is connected far away ( more then 50 meters with CAT 5e old cables , inside wall ) and I try to find how to listen those files without this extra noise and I temporary move the NAS in the same room with audio system and reduce length of cables, solve the problem :D but to be more efficient I want to connect PI3 DIRECT to NAS, to eliminate all switches and network traffic from audio equation.

What I done already in NAS ( ASUSTOR 6604T )
- I already allocate on second LAN port in NAS, static address and same gateway with Pi
- Pi has already allocated a static IP address and gateway.

What I need to do ?
Please try to explain to a very newbie on LAN / LINUX / RUNE AUDIO .
The explanation should be very clear, what need to do on NAS, ( CISM or NFS or something ) settings and permissions and also what settings need to make on rune audio via UI interface or SSH ... or extra if is some.

Thank you in advance for support and advices
Best
Cristache

Did you use a crossover cable for the direct connection? This is normally handled within the switch, but since you using a direct connection you will do this within the cable or a dongle adapter. Here is a wiki link to a more detailed discussion on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_ ... ch%20other.
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi