Add ickstream for Tidal, Wimp, Qobuz ..

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Add ickstream for Tidal, Wimp, Qobuz ..

Postby dankam » 25 Feb 2015, 20:31

Is possible to add ickstream integration.
We immediately handling in the Wimp, Tidal, Qobuz etc.
More info at:
http://wiki.ickstream.com/
dankam

Re: Add ickstream for Tidal, Wimp, Qobuz ..

Postby ACX » 26 Feb 2015, 22:54

Hi dankam, welcome to this community.
I took a quick look to the ickstream website and blog, but I still haven't fully understand the nature of your service.
Is it commercial? Could you please explain the benefit to the RuneAudio community to implement your API?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dankam » 27 Feb 2015, 18:35

This is not my api. I use it in piCorePlayer. Thanks to this I have access to the Tidal streaming service. The software is made available under the GPL.
Rune Audio plays better sound than PiCorePlayer but to fully happiness is missing service Wimp HiFi / Tidal etc.
And all these services you can have by ickstream in one Api.
dankam

Postby ACX » 27 Feb 2015, 21:36

Oh sorry, I thought you were speaking in their name, I misunderstood your post. Well, seems interesting, but I'd like to dig in it first and understand what kind of service they want to offer in the future.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Aquarius » 04 Mar 2015, 14:09

In my humble opinion ...

"It's a trap !" (Admiral Ackbar voice)

It seems this service grabs your login credentials for the services it connects to and then lets you stream through it. Or at least that's how I understand it. They impelement the API to connect to several services while "you" (RuneOS developpers) only need to implement the IckStream API and one UI.

- On squeezbox, It's a squeezbox plugin whereas it seems there's already a Qobuz plugin for squeezbox. Why duplicate ?
- Is there already something working for non-squeezbox based distros ? (piCorePlayer is also squeezebox based). If not then we have to implement the API all over again instead of just reusing some of theig GPL code.
- For services which don't use OpenAuth, Facebook login and some such, ickStream stores a cleartext password on their server (else how could they login instead of us?), which, in my opinion is a dealbreaker.
- The biggest work to implement streaming services like you did for spotify seems to implement a clean UI inegrated to RuneOS. that cannot be the same UI for all streaming services (different needs, different use cases,...)

This is my initial reaction. Feel free to disagree and answer those points I tried to make. I might be missing something here that's very interesting but failed to understand. If so, please kindly point it out to me.

Cheers !
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby ACX » 04 Mar 2015, 17:15

Aquarius wrote:In my humble opinion ...

"It's a trap !" (Admiral Ackbar voice)

LOL!
I wasn't able to understand properly what they claim at a first look. On the paper it looks good from our point of view (a unified API saves us a lot of time), but everything depends on the implementation. Passwords stored on their services would not be a good idea indeed.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby semaphore » 11 Mar 2015, 10:08

semaphore

Postby Aquarius » 11 Mar 2015, 11:33

semaphore wrote:Tidal talks about Ickstream https://tidalsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... Squeezebox

Yes, they don't seem to have a problem with this service. Maybe I overreacted.
But anyway, if icksream is only a squeezbox plugin, then, it won't be usefull for us since we are not LMS-based.
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby dankam » 12 Mar 2015, 22:51

They have a free api for linux.
LMS is not necessary.
http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/Main_Page
dankam

Postby kcs » 06 Jan 2017, 02:29

Almost one year old topic... Any chance to add Tidal support to Rune Audio?
kcs

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Feature request