About RuneAudio and Volumio

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

About RuneAudio and Volumio

Postby ACX » 02 Feb 2014, 23:36

I have to write this post because a lot of people are confused about the relationship between RuneAudio and Volumio, and keep asking us explanations. So here's a short version of the story, limited to the facts.

We - Andrea Coiutti (ACX) and Simone De Gregori (Orion) - started the development of the webUI under the RaspyFi project, because it was the first distribution running on Raspberry Pi, platform which we owned at the time. The RaspyFi project had a huge boost of popularity when the 1.0 version was released in september 2013, also thanks to our webUI and other OS optimizations introduced by us, like the kernel profiles (it was a simple Raspbian running MPD before our contribution). Here you can see the result of our work at the time it was published:

Meanwhile, we were already working together with RaspyFi's founder Michelangelo Guarise on a new wider project called Tsunamp, but sadly things went wrong and we decided to abandon it and continue on different paths.

After the split, two different and independent projects were founded. We joined Carmelo San Giovanni (Um3ggh1u) and together we founded RuneAudio, choosing to rebuild the distro from scratch with Arch Linux as base. Michelangelo instead founded Volumio, using a slightly modified version of the webUI we developed for RaspyFi, in which he hadn't written any single line of code before that. This has to be clarified, as most people do not know who really is behind that huge work. Someone even thinks that RuneAudio is a fork of Volumio, when the truth is quite different. You can find our names in the credits of RaspyFi and Volumio projects.

These are the reasons why you'll find now three different projects with similiar purposes and almost the same webUI.
As the creators of the original RaspyFi's webUI, we are continuing its development under the RuneAudio project with the name RuneUI.
We are not collaborating anymore with RaspyFi and don't have any relationship with Volumio. We wish them all the best for the future.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: About RuneAudio and Volumio

Postby franz159 » 06 Jun 2014, 00:22

Thanks for the clarification.
I'm currently using Volumio Beta 1.3 mainly for it's providing support to my iQAudio Pi-Dac.
I'm pending the general availability of RuneAudio 0.3 to test it in my setup.
Thanks for your great work.
Francesco (franz)
franz159

Postby franz159 » 29 Jul 2014, 19:54

Ok Ok, I was a little bit short of time and almost two months have gone.
However yesterday I finally managed to download the 0.3 alpha version of RuneAudio.
The longest thing to do has been writing the image to the sd card....
After that, all was smooth and running at the first attempt, such as

- the automount of the USB worked immediatley, even if the file system is ExFAT (on Volumio 1.3 I had to manually install "exFat-Fuse" using apt-get to make it work)
- enabling i2s
- setting the audio output to IQ-Audio pi dac

I'm currently updating the library, but I guess it will take some time to go through > 1.3 Tb of Flac!
:D :D :D
franz159

Postby rodgersan » 10 Nov 2014, 15:59

A shame you guys went separated ways, looking from there (that's only my point of view), it seems you and the Volumio team have similar objectives.

Anyway keep up the good work,
rodgersan

Postby dynobot » 28 Sep 2015, 18:01

Okay great, Rune has done a great job with this project. Just hoping it doesn't fade away like so many other Linux projects. It would be nice to put it on auto update... For example ArchLinux and MPD are both very active and have a long history. Auto update by building a script that updates ArchLinux with all the important things for Rune and include updates for MPD. Allow a rollback feature for safety. Then Rune is just left with ergonomic and beauty tweaks.

Reason being is that both ArchLinux and MPD have been marching on, while it's been about 2 years since Rune had an update.
dynobot

Postby ACX » 29 Sep 2015, 15:03

dynobot wrote:Okay great, Rune has done a great job with this project. Just hoping it doesn't fade away like so many other Linux projects. It would be nice to put it on auto update... For example ArchLinux and MPD are both very active and have a long history. Auto update by building a script that updates ArchLinux with all the important things for Rune and include updates for MPD. Allow a rollback feature for safety. Then Rune is just left with ergonomic and beauty tweaks.

Reason being is that both ArchLinux and MPD have been marching on, while it's been about 2 years since Rune had an update.

We are currently working in this direction. Moreover, a big update is on the way, so the project is far from being sleepy.
By the way, the latest images released (for example the one for ODROID) already include the (almost) latest updates of both Arch Linux and MPD.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dynobot » 29 Sep 2015, 17:26

OK thanks for the info...

Glad Rune is not getting sleepy :D
dynobot

Postby graceinc » 22 Jun 2017, 11:56

Rune is very much alive.
graceinc

Postby BigChris » 07 Jul 2017, 06:56

graceinc wrote:Rune is very much alive.

But there is nothing to see since a very lot of time.
BigChris

Postby ACX » 09 Jul 2017, 01:03

BigChris wrote:But there is nothing to see since a very lot of time.

We've been working in silence since the last public release. It will be worth the wait :)
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to General discussion