Abandoned ? Plan Ahead

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Abandoned ? Plan Ahead

Postby LeighP » 21 Aug 2019, 21:37

I can see where 'dynbot' is coming from. There has been little 'official' development by the original Rune team if anything.

We have Betas that have been worked on but by users and not the original developers.

It's sad we are in this state, I thank those who've worked on trying to improve what has been left.

Lets hope something happens in the future. At least what we have, IMHO, works well.
https://github.com/rern/rAudio - the new place for rAudio.
LeighP

Postby dynobot » 21 Aug 2019, 22:05

My real concern is not the product. The current dev's are great and the old dev's had a great idea.

This is not about the product, this is about "ACCESS" to the product.

If/when this site closes, it will probably happen like most site closures....with a 404 web site not found. From there we, those who know of github, may be able to find janui's work and download any updates or continued work. But the project from that point will just take another step towards oblivion.

Rune, the name and logo, it seems has been copy righted. But its still open source, nothing stopping janui from opening a new web site and calling this product RuneX or Jan-audio or anything ie like MoOde did for example.

Bottom line, this site has been abandoned by its owners, the product named Rune is also owned by the same team. Instead of waiting for the inevitable to happen why not be proactive and make a move towards the living ie a fresh new web site and product 'name' vs. sitting back and ignoring some imminent death.

As far as Rasbian vs. Arch. Before you push Rasbian, ask yourself if you really really like the sound of Rune vs Volumio? Then take the time and install two Rpi's with Rasbian+MPD on one and Arch+MPD on the other....trust your ears when they tell you Arch+MPD sounds better. Why, who knows
dynobot

Postby R101 » 21 Aug 2019, 22:57

dynobot wrote:As far as Rasbian vs. Arch. Before you push Rasbian, ask yourself if you really really like the sound of Rune vs Volumio? Then take the time and install two Rpi's with Rasbian+MPD on one and Arch+MPD on the other....trust your ears when they tell you Arch+MPD sounds better. Why, who knows

If you are using a hat or the DAC is too close to the Pi, it's just possible that the RF noise pattern from the Pi is polluting the audio. If you are using a properly isolated USB DAC (or I2s DAC slaving the Pi), there is no way the same data sent to the same locally-clocked DAC can produce a different sound.

If the operating system or the player makes a difference, I would be checking whether the output is always bit-perfect.
(Pi 3B, rAudio-1, JLS I2S over USB)
R101

Postby dynobot » 22 Aug 2019, 00:11

R101 wrote:there is no way the same data sent to the same locally-clocked DAC can produce a different sound.

Bits-R-Bits

I've had this discussion about 50+ times over the past 15+ years.

Somehow reality and logic are not on the same page with this subject.
dynobot

Postby eea123 » 22 Aug 2019, 00:58

I'm still using a BlackBerry because I like it. Seriously I do, call me freaky for the tactical feedback of a keyboard. My audio system is mainly hardwired B&K components. Pretty much I'm a dinosaur, I know it :).
eea123

Postby rastus » 23 Aug 2019, 03:53

Yes, agreed. The original dev team seems to have 'dropped the ball'; no development in literally years except for a beta version, a few years old now. Big thanks to janui and rern for keeping the dream alive. RuneAudio, like other open source software, needs to be updated regularly and often, especially for security and new improvements in the original open source software it's based on. At the very least there should be a post by the dev team about why.... it's very sad.

Regards,

Rastus.

PS: Yes, I still use RuneAudio.
rastus

Postby dynobot » 23 Aug 2019, 05:12

Apparently, Rune DOES have another web site.

http://www.rpimusicplayer.com/
dynobot

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi