WMA lossless

Raspberry Pi related support

WMA lossless

Postby gmc » 25 Sep 2015, 19:13

I recently got a RuneAudio installation working with a Pi B+, and have successfully played many files from my PC folder share. Some of my files were ripped from CD to WMA lossless, and these do NOT play. WMA with smaller bit rates work fine.

I've googled quite a bit on this topic, including Volumio sites and I can't find this precise issue.

One question I read mentioned running the command: mpd --version

which I did, and wma is in the list for [ffmpeg]

Any ideas? I could convert them all to flac, but that would break older devices I have, and I am nervous about tags. I did convert one of the files to flac, and it played OK.

Thanks.
gmc

Re: WMA lossless

Postby gmc » 25 Sep 2015, 19:15

forgot to say: my audio card is an IQaudIO Pi-DAC+
gmc

Postby uselesshippy » 25 Aug 2016, 15:20

Is there any update on this?
I have a pi 3 running rune with a rasplay4 DAC, plays everything except lossless WMA.
uselesshippy

Postby hondagx35 » 25 Aug 2016, 21:54

Hi uselesshippy,

i will try to find a solution for this and report here.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Tiyak » 27 Nov 2017, 23:05

Any Update on this as of 11/27/2017
I just am now setting up an RuneAudio server on a Pi 3 and am having the same problem. the software finds the .wma lossless files on the shares but are unable to play them.

My setup:
Raspberry Pi 3
RuneAudio ".4 build"

will be adding a
HIFI Berry DAC+
Tiyak

Postby janui » 28 Nov 2017, 12:32

Hi Tiyak,
You could try using a different file extention for your .wma files.
The ones which could work are: .divx, .avi, .asf and maybe even .wav
Try it with a few test files.
janui
janui

Postby cmh714 » 29 Nov 2017, 20:51

wma is part of the FFMPEG decoder so that needs to be enabled.....not sure if thats the issue, but thought I would post....YMMV :)
cmh714

Postby janui » 30 Nov 2017, 09:33

Thanks cmh714,
This is correct.
ffmpeg is built into MPD and the file type wma is shown as a supported file type by MPD. The problem seems to be related to the fact that Microsoft has 5 or 6 different encoding techniques which all carry the wma file extension type, 'wma lossless' is one of them. The idea of changing the file extension type for the ‘wma lossless’ is to trick MPD/ffmpeg into identifying/understaning it.
The divx file extension is (or should be) identical to wma. It’s another name for the same thing.
The avi and asf file extensions are used as ‘container’ encoding techniques and these two can be used to encapsulate wma. Normally extra decoding information is added to avi and asf to inform the decoding software how to handle the encapsulated formats. I do not know if MPD/ffmpeg is smart enough to work without the extra decoding information.
The wav format is an old encoding technique which also has ‘container’ capabilities, not much chance of it working, but worth a try.
The alternative would be to convert the ‘wma lossless’ to flac or similar. There is lots of info about this online.
janui
janui

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi