Windows 10 Share: mount error 112

Raspberry Pi related support

Windows 10 Share: mount error 112

Postby lilotter45 » 03 Mar 2018, 22:24

Hi all,

I have spent the better part of this afternoon trying to troubleshoot an inability to connect to a Windows 10 file share. The error I receive is "mount error(112): Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)." I have looked through the forums and tried the solutions to a number of Windows file share issues and none have been successful, and it appears nobody else has had this exact issue.

First, the hardware: RPi 3, running version 0.4 build 20160313. It is connected to the network via WiFi.

The Windows share is on a machine running Windows 10 Home (I do also have a machine running Win 10 Pro and ran into the same issues). The file share is located at D:\Shared\Music and is shared at: \\SRV01\Music or \\192.168.1.80\Music.

Sharing is setup to allow all users full access and passwords are not required. I did also explicitly allow the Guest account access, in addition to "Everyone." I have also tried requiring a password and setting those parameters with no difference in outcome (for the username I tried both the machine_name\user_name and just user_name (using the actual values, obviously).

I had a custom workgroup setup, but changed it back to the default, "WORKGROUP" just to make sure that wasn't an issue.

I have turned off the firewall (Windows Firewall), just to make sure it wasn't causing an issue and it didn't make a difference.

I disabled IPv6 on the host machine as well, since I've run into issues with that on a domain in the past. Again, no difference.

I am able to connect to the share via Windows Explorer, Chrome browser (on Windows), but not from a Mac; I am able to access the folder via Finder on the Mac. I don't know what the significance of this is, but it would suggest to me that there may be an issue with the way linux is interacting here, but I don't know what it is.

The settings on the RPi are:
Protocol: SMB/CFIS
IP: 192.168.1.80
Remote Directory: Music
Guest Access: On

I did also try the remote directory: Users/Public/Music, because it is a shared directory that I was able to connect to on the Mac, but wasn't able to connect with RPi.

I'm happy to share any other information that would be helpful. Any thoughts on this are appreciated, as this has been one of the most frustrating experiences with technology, and I've worked through some pretty infuriating issues.
lilotter45

Re: Windows 10 Share: mount error 112

Postby hondagx35 » 04 Mar 2018, 02:28

Hi lilotter45,

try to add "vers=2.0" or "vers=3.0" to the mount options.

Frank
hondagx35

Re: Windows 10 Share: mount error 112

Postby lilotter45 » 04 Mar 2018, 02:39

Thank you, I added vers=3.0 and it's working. I found a few references to the version of SMB being a possible issue with Win 10 and Linux, but didn't know I could/couldn't figure out how to modify it, so thanks again.

Matt
lilotter45

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi