volume controls w/ iqaudio pi-dac pro

Raspberry Pi related support

volume controls w/ iqaudio pi-dac pro

Postby carnage0 » 13 Apr 2018, 08:48

hey guys

hoping for some help here

i just booted my pi3 with iqaudio's pi dac pro and all is working great, but one thing is niggling me - the volume controls

my phone is being used to control the system (sony xperia z5 compact) and i am unable to alter the volume

with volumio, for example, it can be controlled via the phone's volume keys on the side, but there is no option with runeaudio that i could find, even after scouring the settings

i suspect i am overlooking something obvious here but would appreciate any help

cheers

owen
carnage0

Re: volume controls w/ iqaudio pi-dac pro

Postby ianhaynes » 13 Apr 2018, 11:24

Assuming you are using the Android app or loading Rune directly in a browser, the volume control on the playback page works perfectly well. Or am I missing something?

Ian
Pi 2, Ver. 0.5b, IQAudio DAC+
ianhaynes

Postby carnage0 » 13 Apr 2018, 13:35

ianhaynes wrote:Assuming you are using the Android app or loading Rune directly in a browser, the volume control on the playback page works perfectly well. Or am I missing something?

Ian

hey ian thanks for your reply mate

i thought i was the one missing something obvious, as nothing came from adjusting the controls

before running runeaudio i ran volumio and that worked fine with adjusting +/-, but so far no joy here

on first glance i prefer the UI of rune so am eager to get this back on track

will have another look later i expect!
carnage0

Postby englishtim » 13 Apr 2018, 14:59

Hi Owen,

My suggestion would be to check MPD's "Volume control" mode (Menu > MPD > Volume Control) - is it set to "disabled"?

MPD's "disabled" volume control mode does exactly what it says, and prevents RuneUI from managing the DAC's audio output-level - from your description of the symptoms I wonder if this might be what's causing the problem. "Disabled" mode is good for situations where the DAC's audio output connections operate at Line level (i.e. nominally 1V RMS, such as you'd use to connect to an amplifier or powered monitors), and playback volume is managed using the physical controls on your amp or speakers. The only way to adjust RuneAudio's volume in "disabled" mode is by running Alsamixer in a terminal.

If you want to control RuneAudio's playback volume via your phone then MPD's volume control must be set to either "enabled - software mixer" or "enabled - hardware mixer". The help-text on the MPD settings page describes the relative merits of each option clearly. I've tested this with the Android RuneAudio app, and I'm happy to report that each of the "enabled..." modes works perfectly both with the on-screen volume wheel and the Android device's physical volume buttons. Your results might be influenced by the capabilities of your DAC, so I'd recommend that you try both modes.

Hope this helps...

Peace and friendship,
englishtim
Synology DS918+ NAS >
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ > Behringer UCA202 >
    • Denon RCD-M38DAB > KEF Cresta II
    • Pro-Ject Head Box S > Sennheiser HD 650
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B > Behringer UCA202 > Sansui AU-317 > Celestion SL6
englishtim

Postby carnage0 » 14 Apr 2018, 12:46

hey tim

thanks for your detailed response

yeah i am not sure what to say really; i used it this morning and it was working fine.. i am thinking it was due to the speakers for some reason (they arent exactly brand new!)

now i just need to figure out how to configure it to the iQaudio DAC PRO :D

this whole thing is a beautifully frustrating learning curve and i really appreciate your advice

have a great weekend!
carnage0

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi