Volume control; Linear or logarithmic?

Please report any bug found here

Re: Volume control; Linear or logarithmic?

Postby Muffinman » 08 Jan 2016, 19:21

I've written an application that might be of use. It's a.o. designed to synchronize Linux/Alsa volume levels with that of e.g. amplifiers using different interfaces (serial/tcp/i2c) and vice versa in configurable command structures. It reads out Alsa volume levels in a linear fashion but can convert it to a log scale. If necessary different curves can easily be added. While I only added the log functionality quite recently, it does seem to work well (although I don't use the log functionality myself). This method works well for any application that can send audio and mixer data to different interfaces (e.g. MPD, Shairport, uPMPD). You're welcome to give it a try, see if it works for your purpose, give comments and/or suggestions, and report any bugs you may encounter.

https://github.com/therealmuffin/synchronator
Muffinman

Postby Orion » 11 Jan 2016, 14:52

Hi Muffinman,
wellcome to RuneAudio forum. Thank you for this software, I think that Syncronator is a great idea! Surely we are interested to integrate it into RuneAudio. You arrive here in perfect timing, because we are working hard to complete the refactory of our backend with a lot of interesting new features. Are you available to collaborate for a deeper integration of Syncronator with the upcoming RuneAudio new stack? PM me if you are interested.

Bye.
Simone
RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player
SoloStereo - Alla riscoperta dell'alta fedeltà
Orion
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby jcoman » 01 Apr 2016, 20:49

ACX wrote:That's the approach we are talking about, both ways (-M option or accurate hw values) need direct amixer control. No problem to code that (and also adapt the range to different DACs), but it will work only using RuneUI (and not with other MPD clients).

I know this is a year old, but I just wanted to add my two cents here.

I currently have 0.3 beta running on 4 raspberry pi model B's, playing to 4 different zones in the house. I have a 5th pi running a Flask webserver to control the zone amplifiers, as well as serve a 'remote control' of sorts. Basically, it just has volume, skip and play/pause buttons that are really easy to push quickly (like if the phone rings and you want to pause the music, you don't have to go hunting around the the RuneUI page for the pause button). It currently uses CORS requests to control the MPD on the corresponding pi.

If you bypass the MPD for the volume control, it might be good to still expose the functionality to MPD clients (or the like) by redirecting the volume requests to the Rune back-end, or something like that.
jcoman

Postby ACX » 09 Apr 2016, 08:05

jcoman wrote:If you bypass the MPD for the volume control, it might be good to still expose the functionality to MPD clients (or the like) by redirecting the volume requests to the Rune back-end, or something like that.

Yes, that's the approach we are taking for it.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby bloodnok » 12 Dec 2016, 03:25

I have just released a hack for this. There is an executable for the Pi model 1 with a DAC+ which you can try.

https://github.com/marcmunro/MPD

The REAME file should give you enough details to get going.
bloodnok

Postby taravasya » 19 Oct 2017, 20:44

I have XMOS+PCM5102, and I have same issue. All volume under 50% its just a silence )))
By the way, on Volumio everything normal with this...
taravasya

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Bug report