[SOLVED] RPi B PLUS and IQaudio DAC PLUS - problems

Raspberry Pi related support

[SOLVED] RPi B PLUS and IQaudio DAC PLUS - problems

Postby johnbanks » 30 Sep 2014, 13:11

Have been running 0.3 alpha on RPi B (not plus) with Wolfson wirelessly for several weeks.

I decided to upgrade and got my RPi B PLUS a few days ago and have had it running 0.3 alpha (10 July 2014) without a DAC by connecting the RPi jack output to my ‘HiFi’ – playing test tracks from a USB key and streaming by wireless from my NAS. A listenable experience and better than silence :)
.
Received my IQaudio DAC PLUS yesterday and attached it to my RPi B PLUS. The rig fired up OK. I then turned on I2S and selected IQaudio DAC.
After rebooting, I Remounted All Sources (an annoying need after rebooting) which triggers a 2/3 mins update of the Library. This done, I selected an item to play, went to Playback and immediately got the message – “Empty queue, add some music” – my wireless connection had crashed and I could no longer puTTy in nor Netscan and find RuneAudio on my network.

Tried it a couple of times with the same result so I unplugged the wireless adapter and moved the rig to a location with a wired LAN connection. The result was the same – the Ethernet connection crashed.

Any suggestions would be most welcome – thx in advance
johnbanks

Re: RPi B PLUS and IQaudio DAC PLUS - problems

Postby gswg » 01 Oct 2014, 13:11

Hi John, I'm a little surprised at the removal of wifi etc. and don't see this being related.

I know the guys here have the Pi-DAC+ and have it running now so I guess we'll have to wait for a release to solve the integration.

I'll also look from my side what I can assist with.

Gordon@IQaudio.com
gswg

Postby rawdevice » 01 Oct 2014, 19:07

Hi,

I've got the same issue with Pi B+/Pi-DAC+ and Runeaudio 0.3 Alpha. I know ACX mentioned in the 0.3 Alpha thread that this will work "out of the box" with 0.3 Beta, but getting a little impatient waiting for the release. Has anyone got this working already? Grateful for any hints...

Regards,

RawDevice
rawdevice

Postby johnbanks » 01 Oct 2014, 20:21

Just a suggestion to the RuneAudio guys

I have no experience of software development or what is involved but ...

Would it be possible to make available a snapshot of just where you are today with 0.3 beta - calling it alpha2, perhaps?

This is what the OpenElec guys do daily - but they are a much bigger group of guys, I'm sure.

As an aside - an alph2 might allow more time before the beta release.

Just a suggestion ....
johnbanks

Postby Jerome » 05 Oct 2014, 01:24

I'm having the exact same issue. RPi B+ & IQaudio DAC+, trying to play something (off a NAS, then a web radio for a change) and the ethernet connection crashes immediately.

Worth mentioning that I've had the same behavior with OpenElec and RaspBMC. On both installs, once I load the modules per IQaudio's documentation then the ethernet connection goes bye bye after the reboot. (Edit: I've had an Ethernet issue on Volumio as well.)

I'm giving up at this point but glad to see I'm not alone. I'll be following this thread closely.
Jerome

Postby franz159 » 05 Oct 2014, 11:30

As one of the guys happy wth RPi B + PiDac and impatinet to put together another system based on the "PLUS" versions of both... I will monitor this thread, waiting for the 0.3 beta to be released...

Thanks!
franz159

Postby Stwert » 07 Oct 2014, 14:20

I think I may have experienced the same problem. I gave Volumio a try and I got audio out of the IQaudIO Dac+, but then I modified a network configuration file to try to get the wifi working and screwed up the OS. So I installed Rune 0.3alpha again and selected the IQaudio profile, when I tried to play a track there was no sound output and then the UI lost connection and I couldn't get it back over ethernet. Not sure if this is the same issue or something else went wrong.
Stwert

Postby gswg » 08 Oct 2014, 10:16

Hi all, just to be clear - there is no difference in audio driver between the original Pi-DAC and the Pi-DAC+.

There IS a difference on the Pi B+ which needs the I2S linux driver to take the I2S signals to the correct GPIO pins. This is the only change distributions like RuneAudio / Volumio and others need to make to support Pi-DAC+ boards.

There IS a difference in USB / Ethernet between the Pi B and the Pi B+ but this should deb under the hood. The B+ also has different power requirements and can deliver more current over USB.

When you do an rpi-update etc. you should be receiving the I2S changes and the USB changes (along with many other's).

Here I have B+ running Volumio and PiMusicBox without network issues. I have an early access RuneAudio from ACX which is working as expected too.

Maybe check your power bricks? Are they powerful enough? Just a thought? I use an apple iPAD charger to power my B+

Best regards,

Gordon
gswg

Postby johnbanks » 09 Oct 2014, 14:13

@gswg

Thx for the info. I understand that pacman -Syu will update everything including RPi firmare.
Unfortunately this crashes 0.3 alpha.
Is there a way of just doing the rpi-update and leaving the rest as is?
Thx in advance
johnbanks

Postby Jerome » 11 Oct 2014, 13:12

Waiting for beta to arrive, you can play with PiMusicBox 0.5.1 alpha2, released a few days ago and working flawlessly with the Dac+.
Jerome

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi