Issue with the RuneUI failing after a period of inactivity

Raspberry Pi related support

Issue with the RuneUI failing after a period of inactivity

Postby Kilgore » 05 Dec 2016, 23:56

Issue: Rune can play constantly for many hours, but if left inactive with nothing playing for an hour or two the RUI no longer works.

I downloaded the RPi 3 rune image last week and installed it on a new RPi3 B. It was great to see how developed the application is (Big thanks to the team) and I was able to get it up and running without much difficulty. The music is on a USB HDD and is connected directly via USB. Control of Rune is via WiFi. I do not have the RPi connected to the LAN via the Ethernet.

However after a few days I noticed that sometimes when there had been nothing playing for a while, the RUI would drop out and I could no longer connect. The only solution is to restart by depowering and power up the RPi . The issue is the same whether I use a laptop and Chrome or an Andriod tablet and the RUI app.

At first I thought it was the perhaps the power management within the Pi, but using iwconfig I can see that Power Management : off This is what I expected as I presumed this is built into the Rune image.

Then I thought that perhaps it was my wireless router. There is a Wireless Security setting called ‘Group Key Update Period’ and this was set to one hour. So I set this to ‘no update’. I really thought this would fix the issue. But this morning I see that the RUI has again dropped and is not available.

Any suggestions at where else to look? Should I mess around with IP Assignment and change the DHCP/static configuration?
I have spend hours and hours looking through the forum for clues but I'm at a loss. I suspect I am missing something obvious (sorry) as I know there are so many others running much the same set up without issues. It is time consuming to check changes as I have to wait ages after any change to see the effect...so any pointers would be wonderful.

Raspberry Pi 3 B
USB DAC - Schiit Bifrost multibit
USB Western Digital 1 TB portable HDD
2.5 A powersupply
Ethernet not connected
WiFi - using onboard RPi wifi
Modem - Thomson Speedtouch 538v6
Router - TP-Link WR741ND with high gain antenna
Group Key Update Period = 0 (no update)

Samsung Android Galaxy Tab A Tablet
Android vers. 5.0.2

Chrome
the error reads: This site can’t be reached. Runeaudio’s server DNS address could not be found.
[Rune 0.4 Beta / Rasbperry Pi 3 / Pi 7" touch screen / HiFi Digi+ Pro / Optical / Schiit Bifrost MB]
Kilgore

Re: Issue with the RuneUI failing after a period of inactivi

Postby Kilgore » 06 Dec 2016, 03:25

After a bit more digging around (over lunch at work) I think I may have answered my question. I will try setting IP assignment to Static tonight. I'm not sure if I will also need to make any changes to my router but I'll just give it a go and keep my fingers crossed. Sorry to bug you all with my earlier post...it may have been premature.
[Rune 0.4 Beta / Rasbperry Pi 3 / Pi 7" touch screen / HiFi Digi+ Pro / Optical / Schiit Bifrost MB]
Kilgore

Postby hondagx35 » 06 Dec 2016, 12:08

Hi Kilgore,

I will try setting IP assignment to Static tonight.

Please report if it makes a difference.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Kilgore » 06 Dec 2016, 13:03

Thanks Frank for taking an interest. :)

I had a look at static vs DHCP and my router settings and found a more likely culprit. I noticed that when I checked the list of connected wifi devices and their IP addresses within the router that they all had an 'Lease Time' of 2 hrs. I could see that this time was counting down for each device depending on when it connected. Anyway, my router lets me set 'Address reservation' which makes this connection 'permanent'. So I did this with the entry for Rune. I'm hoping that this will be the fix. But time will tell! :)

I'll be sure to report back either way.
Kilgore

Postby Kilgore » 07 Dec 2016, 00:01

Nope. This morning the RUI was dead again. Shame....I really thought I'd found the cause.

Powered RPi off and on and RUI working again.

Tonight I will set my internet IPv4 to static instead of DHCP and see if this makes any difference. I can't see how that would make a difference now that I have reserved the IP for Rune in my router, but I'll give it a go.
Kilgore

Postby ICLlP » 07 Dec 2016, 13:53

I've been plagued by this in a wired connection situation. I hope to come back to Rune, but for now I've defected to another distribution and I no longer have the problem.
ICLlP

Postby Krayon » 07 Dec 2016, 15:44

Hi all,

I'm running v0.3-beta on a RP3 as well via WIFI and experience the exact same issue.
I do NOT have any other fancy hardware connected (yet), using the default audio jack with PC speakers.
The IP lease cannot be an issue as the DHCP is configured to give a fixed IP to this Raspberry.

It's not a major issue for me as the PI is connected to a switched power outlet, so the reset is manual, but quick.
However, it's still a nuisance.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Best regards
Krayon
Krayon

Postby Kilgore » 07 Dec 2016, 21:28

It may be premature to get excited, but this morning the RUI was still OK. I've got my fingers crossed that when I get home from work this will continue to be the case.

If I have fixed it then I must apologize for being a goose and not reading everything on this site. I had blamed my router and have been fooling around with the settings. I had also looked through all the advice in the Docs > Troubleshoot > Troubleshoot Raspberry Pi. But then I read under Docs > Troubleshoot > Getting Updates. I had assumed that the download on the Home page > Download > Download Latest Version would contain all updates. But the Getting updates page gives instructions on running gitpul to install the latest bug fixes. (I couldn't see any fix that was relevant, but I'm pretty ignorant about such maters) Well I did this and ran gitpul last night and RUI is looking good as I munch my morning cereal.

I will report back once some more time has elapsed.
Kilgore

Postby Kilgore » 09 Dec 2016, 22:37

Worked no probs for last couple of days. :D Exclusively using Chrome to access the RUI via wifi.
So just now I tried it with the Rune app on my android Samsung tablet. RUI froze. Possibly an issue with the tablet or app? I'll keep looking at this and let you know if I find a fix (or what I'm doing wrong).
Kilgore

Postby Krayon » 13 Dec 2016, 11:24

I also had the hope that the problem has been fixed through updates, but yesterday the UI stopped working again. I'm using mostly iOS devices to access it.
I will now try to be a bit more systematic when I encounter the issue in order to figure out if other browsers (on Win and Mac) are also locked up when this happens...
Krayon

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi