USB to Ethernet adapter - how to get it working

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: USB to Ethernet adapter - how to get it working

Postby PeteB » 11 May 2016, 16:12

Ok, so you CAN log in and run command line stuff, but not on eth1. Try "netctl status eth1"

I would try to compare the two profiles, eth0 and eth1. Run "netctl --help" and it will list some of the things you can try to do. "netctl edit eth1" should give you a convenient way to change things. Beyond that I don't have any suggestions.

edit:

oops, did not see your last post. Nice to know you found the problem!
PeteB

Postby rastus » 12 May 2016, 01:06

tboooe wrote:Figured it out! There was an IP address conflict. For some reason the Pi3 kept trying to get the address 192.168.2.116 which was being used by another device on my network. I know I can set a static IP address but why does the Pi3 keep trying that one address? Even after rebooting it kept trying that one.

Reasons: static IP address assignment in the Pi or IP address reservation for the Pi's MAC address in the router.

The Pi doesn't try to use that IP address by default, unless one of the above configurations have been made. If your using DHCP in the router, then the DHCP server would be assigning the Pi an IP address from what's available.

Solution: Always use a static IP address for the Pi, after all you do what other devices on your Intranet to find the Pi, right? I prefer IP address reservation because when I change micro cards (Runeaudio or Openelec) my router will always assign the same IP address (based on the WiFi dongle's MAC address) no matter what micro card I'm using.
rastus

Postby adamk » 29 Dec 2016, 21:43

Hi! This thread helped me get my USB-ethernet adapter working, and I've seen 200Mbs+ speed now. Awesome!

However, somehow the DNS entry for 'runeaudio' maps to the old eth0 IP address even though eth1 is the only interface connected. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: looks like a combination of rebooting my routers and updating my hostname on the rune audio web app made things fall into place. All good!
adamk

Postby stosoorok » 01 Apr 2017, 21:20

Any listening tests about the sound quality with the usb to lan adapter?
stosoorok

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi