Updating Raspian (pi OS) lost Pi ip address

Raspberry Pi related support

Updating Raspian (pi OS) lost Pi ip address

Postby foxint » 04 Oct 2017, 09:52

Hi Guys
Sorry to be back with a stupid question. I was just thinking of updating the OS....but I am not sure how it is done. I wish unix was as familiar as win 10....

Is this the place to ask. I thought this would be easy and I have spent all day on it.

I plugged in the pi to a monitor and all I got was runeaudio...I tried putty, but it timed out. I tried to look on my DCHP list on the modeum and the pi was missing. I tried to find it using nmap and failed. I pinged the IP address I thought it was good....

I used this ip address and used putty - no log in only a green rectangle. then it times out.

If this is not good...just tell me.....
foxint

Re: Updating Raspian (pi OS) lost Pi ip address

Postby grofweg » 04 Oct 2017, 10:41

Updating RuneAudio is probably not wise. The chance is you will break the current install. Mind that Rasbian is debian based. RuneAudio is Arch based.
grofweg

Postby janui » 04 Oct 2017, 20:57

Hi foxint,

The advice from grofweg is correct, updating the kernel is not straightforward. You need to understand that Linux development is based on a rolling forward standard. Only the newest versions of modules are available, any inter-module dependencies must be resolved by using the latest versions. Which in turn may create a situation where a set of modules are installed which are incompatible with the Rune code. However you might just be lucky in getting a compatible set installed. If you are prepared to spend some time on it, the command which will update the kernel is:
Code: Select all
pacman -Sy --force raspberrypi-firmware raspberrypi-bootloader linux-raspberrypi
You will first need to get access via ssh, see here for instructions: post21900.html?hilit=ssh%20access#p21900, see text: - Get access to the console:...

Tips: Update the kernel only if it is required for something specific. Don't use a WiFi connection, wired ethernet or attached keyboard and monitor are required. You should also make sure that your power supply is sufficient. Make backup copies of your SD card so that you can always go back to a working version. And, before you use a command, do a bit of research to find out what it does.

If you run into problems there is a good chance that you will need to spend time learning more about Linux just to be able to explain it. For help, search the forum first, there is lots of information available.

Janui
janui

Postby foxint » 04 Oct 2017, 21:28

Guys

Thank you.

I thought it was easy....sudo apt-get update...

But since I cannot even get into the pi...I think it is too hard. I will have to wait and pray that pi gets more user friendly

Thanks
foxint

Postby hondagx35 » 04 Oct 2017, 23:03

Hi foxint,

I will have to wait and pray that pi gets more user friendly

The Pi is one of the most user-friendly devices I ever got my hands on.
I hate Windows 10 and would be happy if it would be as intuitive as Linux. :lol:

What is your problem?
Why do you want to update Rune?
What version do you use?

I plugged in the pi to a monitor and all I got was runeaudio.

Disable the local browser option on the settings page and you will get the login screen on your monitor.

I thought it was easy....sudo apt-get update...

As always, read the fucking manual!
Rune is based on Arch Linux not Raspbian. Arch Linux uses pacman as packet manager.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby foxint » 05 Oct 2017, 00:38

Hi

I want to update the pi O.S. NOT rune audio.

So I am not really sure what you have said. I am sorry if our experiences of Win 10 and Pi differ. I am also sorry if I do not understand linex. But that is the fact.

If there are any people who would like to help, I would be most greatfull. I have read a lot and most of it is (again I am sorry) in incomprehensable to me.
foxint

Postby rastus » 05 Oct 2017, 01:29

foxint wrote:If this is not good...just tell me.....

It is NOT good. Raspian is NOT RuneAudio (if you want help with Raspian, go to the Raspian forum). RuneAudio is based on ArchLinux.... and you have been told already, DO NOT update the Rasperry Pi kernal when using RuneAudio as it WILL damage the RuneAudio install.

Windows10 is 'easy' because you do not have access to any high level controls, it is designed to be 'simple' for the user (no insult intended). All the Linux's give full access to high level controls, designed for the advanced users. There is a big difference between the two. As to your network issues, I suggest you get a qualified I.T. person to have a look at it. You have, in your numerous posts here, often made changes yourself, then asked for help and become argumentative when good advice is given to you. I strongly recommend that you buy a pre-built streamer so that you do not have problems in the future, thus it will be like Windows10, simple to use.
rastus

Postby foxint » 05 Oct 2017, 02:01

Sorry Guys

I did begin the post, asking if this was the right place. Obviously not.

I think you misinterprete confusion, lack of knowledge and asking with being argumentative. At least I have not used bad language.

I do like to dabble, but it would seem that the level of knowlege for pi-things is a little too much. I live in the bush and the local PC shop has just embraced SSD's and they have no idea what a pi was. I even suggested to the childrens school that (like the UK) teaching computing using the Raspberry pi would be good...well the school's IT guy looked at me with a blank expression, then I had to explain...

So no joy here. Thanks for the chat.
foxint

Postby rastus » 05 Oct 2017, 02:36

foxint,

your at Orange (correct?), I'm at Lithgow.... two hours away (maybe less). You are not far from Bathurst (one hour, maybe less?), and I believe there are a few computer repair places there.
rastus

Postby foxint » 05 Oct 2017, 02:54

Yes Orange

Thanks for remembering.

After they butchered my PC and were surprised that I had SSD's...I have lost all faith in them. I even used a PC shop from one of the Mum's from school again, I had to rebuild the PC and install everything.

The level of expertese here is too low even the lawyers and accountants are far from competent. Plus the PC shops charge 2 x for a HDD that I can get from Melbourne, I refuse to use them.

For PC I am OK...for Pi I am at a total loss. Sorry, but the whole pi thing excites me but it is far too confusing for me.
foxint

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi