Update kernel and use F2FS for the root partition

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Update kernel and use F2FS for the root partition

Postby Der Vogel » 29 May 2014, 08:31

Hi,
First, I wonder if the next version of RuneAudio will include a more recent version of the Linux kernel, which should recognize more devices among other improvement.
Secondly, as a user of the Raspberry Pi version of RuneAudio, I tried to format the root file system of RuneAudio with F2FS, following this tutorial. F2FS is "the new file system designed by Samsung [which] improves the performance and durability of flash memories".
Here the steps:
  1. Update Archlinux:
    Code: Select all
    pacman -Syu
  2. Follow this tutorial, but resize the root partition to 2.4 Gb. I realized this after a first attempt. Not sure how many space is needed exactly.
  3. Optionally add a partition on your SDCard to put music. Modify /etc/fstab to mount in /mnt/MPD/Directory-of-your-choice.
Last edited by Der Vogel on 29 May 2014, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Der Vogel

Re: Updae kernel and use F2FS for the root partition

Postby ACX » 29 May 2014, 11:45

Hi Der Vogel, in the upcoming 0.3 we are going to use a custom recompiled version of this kernel:

Code: Select all
Linux studio 3.12.19-2-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Thu May 22 15:35:00 UTC 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

About F2FS: we already considered the option of switching file system and that seems to us the way to go, but we hadn't the time to test it deeply yet. Could you give us your feedback after a reasonable time of testing?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: Update kernel and use F2FS for the root partition

Postby Der Vogel » 26 Jun 2014, 12:34

Hi there, it is working very well until now, with a daily use and updating ArchLinux time to time.
Der Vogel

Postby ACX » 26 Jun 2014, 19:06

Der Vogel wrote:Hi there, it is working very well until now, with a daily use and updating ArchLinux time to time.

Good to hear, thank you for the feedback.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Der Vogel » 27 Jun 2014, 08:22

I will test it also on the next version of RuneAudio. I still have to check how big should be the root partition to support pacman's caching as a side effect of regular updates of the ArchLinux system.
Der Vogel

Postby Midnight » 27 Jun 2014, 09:11

Is F2FS really intended for SD cards and eMMC devices? The description sound like a file system for bare NAND devices (like JFFS2, YAFFS, UBIFS).
AFAIK SD cards and eMMC devices already have a built-in controller, that does the wear levelling for the NAND flash and bad block detection/marking.
Midnight

Postby Midnight » 27 Jun 2014, 09:16

Well, I've found this myself ;) :
Unlike jffs2 and logfs, f2fs is not targeted at raw flash devices, but rather at the specific hardware that is commonly available to consumers — SSDs, eMMC, SD cards, and other flash storage with an FTL (flash translation layer) already built in. It seems that as hardware gets smarter, we need to make even more clever software to manage that "smartness". Does this sound like parenting to anyone else?

http://lwn.net/Articles/518988/

EDIT:
Der Vogel wrote:Secondly, as a user of the Raspberry Pi version of RuneAudio, I tried to format the root file system of RuneAudio with F2FS, following this tutorial. F2FS is "the new file system designed by Samsung [which] improves the performance and durability of flash memories".

While reading the beginning of the article it seems to me that F2FS improves the performance, but not the durability of SD/eMMC memories, e.g. it does no wear levelling (which is left to the controller).

Seems like a "nice to have" but nothing that is really needed in Runeaudio so far ;)
Midnight

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request