Troubles with wifi

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Troubles with wifi

Postby pietpara » 12 Jan 2017, 22:24

Hello Frank,

thanks for the quick reply!

I have tried to set up a static IP too, but as said, I am not able to save a profile if ethernet is not connected. So, I can fill out all the fields, but I cannot save them and get out of that screen. The button to save just does nothing and you don't go back to the networks screen.

And, yes, I get an IP both on ETH0 and on the WLAN0 (different IP's of course).

I can save a WiFi profile with ethernet connected indeed.

When I shutdown, remove the eth-cable and restart I have found the following:
1) I cannot connect when connecting to my router's wifi (living room)
2) I can connect when I move upstairs and connect to my repeater.

So, what can be different between both? I only see a difference in signal level, being around 33% in living room and 70% at repeater.

Hope this get's me closer :-)

pietpara
pietpara

Postby pietpara » 12 Jan 2017, 22:29

Some more info:

Router WiFi is set to AUTO (TKIP / AES)
Repeater is set to TKIP

And, in the living room I cannot connect to ethernet cable (I don't have a cable long enough to my audio equipment). Maybe I should try hooking it up to my router directly? And I don't see my router WiFi upstairs (whence repeater).
pietpara

Postby pietpara » 13 Jan 2017, 09:40

Hello,

in the end I got it to work over WiFi only, although it seems te be unstable with lots of glitches / gaps. But maybe that's just WiFi in general.

What happened is that I could not get a WiFi connection at my audio equipment. I would get a green checkmark once in a while but then it would not find my NAS. I then moved the RaspTouch closer to my Router and there it did work, so I figured it had to be a too low WiFi signal (although it was still around 30%).
Taking a WiFi extender D-Link DAP 1522 to the living room I then finally managed to get WiFi signal at 50% and connect to NAS and listen to the first streams. These were, however, with a lot of glitches at first and then got less by itself, but still not comfortable.

It seems that the WiFi of the RaspTouch is not that "strong", since signal strength is always much lower than a mobile phone indicates at same location and even very close to the router it will not pass 70%. I am not sure that has anything to do with it.

In general, I experienced also some issues with RuneAudio. While trying to connect, switching between network settings and sources in my quest, the software would each time turn sluggish and in some cases not respond anymore, requiring a hard boot. Also irritating was that when filling in setting in network, typing fast (using keyboard on RaspTouch touchscreen) would return you to the "play" screen of rune audio, just as of fast typing would mimick a double tap, which somehow exits you back to the play screen. Quite frustrating.
I also notcied that each time I have to reconnect to a source (e.g. after shudown and boot) it will update library again and it takes a very long time. Meanwhile you cannot play anything because it's basically one big glitch.

Anyway, I'll keep playing around with it and try to get the hang of it.
Meanwhile, if there are any solutions or tweaks known, I would really appreciate hearing them.

Many thanks and ... cheers
pietpara
pietpara

Postby hondagx35 » 13 Jan 2017, 10:16

Hi pietpara,

you are using the internal wifi (Raspberry Pi3), right?
The built-in wifi is not great at all because of its small chip antenna.
Next thing is the metal case that blocks wifi.

While trying to connect, switching between network settings and sources in my quest, the software would each time turn sluggish and in some cases not respond anymore

A good and stable network connection is an absolute must.

Also irritating was that when filling in setting in network, typing fast (using keyboard on RaspTouch touchscreen) would return you to the "play" screen of rune audio

Yes, double tapping opens a new browser window. This is something we have to find a solution for.

I also notcied that each time I have to reconnect to a source (e.g. after shudown and boot) it will update library again and it takes a very long time.

Sources should and do autoconnect while rebooting.

After setting up a network source you should give MPD (the player used by Rune) some time to completely index your music library.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby pietpara » 13 Jan 2017, 11:36

Thank you very much Frank!!!

So, I guess the best is to find a way to get an eth-cable connected. :-)

Also, maybe you know, but I guess the version of RuneAudio pre-installed for the RaspTouch is an old version.
Do you know if there is a later version for this, because I could not find any info on it at Audiophonics.
Are RaspTouch user stuck to the version approved by Audiophonics, because of compatibility with the RaspTouch (some special drivers added for e.g. the touchscreen etc.)?
Or can I just install any version I like?

thanks
Pietpara

PS I cannot get Spotify to work either but I'll post a new thread.
pietpara

Postby hondagx35 » 13 Jan 2017, 14:48

Hi Pietpara,

Also, maybe you know, but I guess the version of RuneAudio pre-installed for the RaspTouch is an old version.

The version provided by Audiophonics is nearly the same as the actual one here.
I also own a Rasptouch and the next versions from RuneAudio will be compatible.

Please wait with updating until the next image comes out.
My Rasptouch works perfectly with the provided software.

Frank
hondagx35

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi